Chapter 22

Furqan

After sword practicing with Hakeem and Kabir,  Onu OjiwoOcha kingdom. I retired back to my tent chambers getting ready for the Oganyi celebration.

The celebration starts by Oroka (Noon) Azeez went round with the soldiers making sure the environment is secured.

I marched towards the wagon and stopped on my way. I thought I heard Almas's laughter. I thoughtfully turned back slowly and saw some group of girls chatting and laughing at the front of the Ayeey castle- like tent. I sighed and walked away disappointed. Why care for Almas anyways, she's probably enjoying herself somewhere with her so called lover.

Different uninteresting events took place at the Oganyi hall. I emotionlessy watched. Hakeem and Kabir kept on hailing and whispering things to me but I was completely uninterested.

Enegbani Akowe, The master of the ceremony announced it was time for the Idó Ami igbele. Young group of girls began gathering on the stage.

"I shall be selecting my Queen from there. Hakeem said pointing at the girls, but I've got my eyes on just one damsel. He said giggling. I looked at him with a brow raised wondering what in Ojo's name is wrong with him.

A young girl was the last to hurriedly rushed to the stage. Her structure reminded me of Almas. I immediately and suddenly felt her present and quickly got up from the royal chair I was occupying.

"Oma'Atai calm down, the maidens won't run away! Kabir teasily said.

"Yes Akpai he's right. Hakeem said pulling my arm to seat down.

I stared at the far distance, wondering if really it was Almas. I breathe out and sat right down.

The dancing commenced. The girls whined and swang their hips seductively, I stared focusing on the strange girl. When they were done dancing, Enegbani Akowe came over to where Hakeem, kabir and other great kings and I sat. He whispered into Hakeem's ear, saying in the honour of the Oganyi, ibegwu certainly wants to choose a Queen for him so it was time for him to select.

He look at his right smiling at me then looked at his left smirking at Kabir. He briskly got up and faced me while I was seated. "Oma'Atai, it will be a great honour to be accompanied by the great Onu Amo Onu. He said.

I smiled,nodded and followed. We got to the stage, I still felt this weird sensation, what is wrong with me!? I frustrately thought and decided to take my mind off it.

Hakeem began checking the gorgeous looking maidens out individually, examining their looks and body, staring at them from head to toe.

He looked at me with a questioning stare while standing in the front of a fair beautiful maiden, I smiled and nodded meaning she's okay. Hakeem nodded a No and kept on going further.

I was exhausted. I just wanted to retire to my chambers but I can skip my precious sleep and rest just for Hakeem. He's like a brother I never had. We stopped at the strange girl's back. Again this feelings began pilling up. Out of curiosity, I angrily and frustrately rushed over to her even when Hakeem haven't got there. I stopped at her back and examine her. Her silky black hair catch my attention. And I remembered when Almas felt sick in my chambers, how I admired her long silky black hair. That exact picture in my head was standing right before me. Could this be... Almas? I thought and went to her front..

My God! So much resemblance. I thought as my eyes screened her whole features. Then my eyes catch a scare she got when my soldiers dragged her on the floor in Asir the first time I lay my eyes on her. No! This can't be..

"Almas?! I yelled. She kept quite not making any sound. I quickly raise her chin up and behold Almas!

Her eyes filled with deep sorrow. Why's she sad and vulnerable? She hurt me, I should be sad. The whole thing mama told about her began repeating in my head. I got so angry, I couldn't bear to even think about her with another man! I knuckled my fist to control my fury. I quickly dragged her from the stage heading to my tent chambers. People's Murmuring filled the air but I simply don't care. Why Hakeem called her Ebule? How he know her? Is he also her lover!?? My anger was at its peak. I wanted to make her pay for hurting me so deeply. I kept dragging her and she didn't even say a word. That made me so furious.

I threw her to the ground angrily. Hurt her, dwell my anger on her. She was weeping bitterly, I felt weak, but that might be her other trick to manipulate my emotions so I carried on hurting her.

Soon Hakeem aggressively fought his way inside my tent chambers. Seeing him made me so angry.

"What are you doing here!? I asked irritately. He ignored me and rushed over to Almas questioning why I want to kill her. It led into a fight. What is wrong with Hakeem! I decided to explain everything to him, he looked shocked. Almas didn't defend herself. That upset me more! Mama was right... She was indeed a poisonous slow snake. But Almas you'll pay for this. You'll pay! I'll humiliate you in front of everyone in Agabah. I thought with an evil smirk plastered on my face.

I told Azeez to get the soldiers ready, we'll be leaving for Agabah in the morning.

After fajr, While leaving, Hakeem rushed over to the front of the wagon. "What do you think you're doing!? He yelled with his eyes red and tears in his eyes. How could you take her away from me! He said clutching his fist in anger. I've accepted Ebule into my life. He shouted. I looked over to Almas who sat at the far end of my wagon carriage, her face look expressionless, dry. And got down from the wagon

"Shut up fool. First of all her name's not Ebule. She's Ebule Almas! She lied to you, why are you so dumb not to see? I yelled.

"i don't care! Im in love with her! He yelled back bringing out his sword. I shaked my head and move closer to him and he took few steps back, soon his soldiers and general all gathered at his back. They were all frightened, my soldiers are the strongest. No one dare stand against us! I turned back heading to the wagon.

"Come back and fight! You coward. Hakeem shouted.

"A strong man don't fight meaningless wars. Make it official and we shall meet at the battlefield.

"So. Be. It! He shouted.

"Before then, this worthless whore will be my prisoner and will be dealt with for the severe pain she caused me. I said smirking and marching to the wagon carriage.

"You'll pay for it Furqan! Enough of being heartless! There's no future in it. If you don't want her anymore please give her to me. Not taking her to Agabah as a prisoner. He pleaded dropping his sword. I closed the wagon door and motion for the journey to begin.

"War it is. I coldly said to Hakeem while passing him by in the wagon. His face dropped and kept staring at me until we were out of his sight.