"Gee, I don't know. I couldn't imagine living away from my family. Not yet, anyway. And I wouldn't want Travis to feel left out."

"He probably wouldn't like that either. It sounds like you have some things to consider before you say yes to him, huh?"

"Yeah." Griffin sucked in a breath. "Please, don't tell my parents. Mom and I talk, but I haven't told her everything."

"Sure, but I think you should talk to her before you and Travis take the plunge. Okay?" I offered a smile that I hoped would reassure her and not turn me into the aunt who was too old to understand.

"Of course. My mom is my best friend. I just don't want her to worry beforehand, you know?"

"Yeah, I know."

When we arrived at the Lassiter domus, the place smelled like lavender and baby poop. The latter was probably because Adele was in the process of changing Jillian, and I got to see, first hand, what I was in for.

"That's an awful smell," Griffin offered as she plugged her nose. "But she is the cutest baby in the history of babies."

"I'm glad you think so, Griffin." Adele grinned as she swaddled her daughter in a blanket and handed the bundle over to her sister's waiting arms. "Here Amelia. I know you won't mind holding her while I wash my hands."

"You know I'm happy to, but I think Reese needs to get some practice in." After kissing both of Jillian's pink cheeks, Amelia held her out to me, and I pretended to know what I was doing.

Swaddled tightly inside her blanket, the little thing seemed almost unreal, but when I cradled her in my arms and she blinked up at me with dark, curious eyes, I felt a rush of emotion that was definitely real. "She's amazing."

"We think so." Adele walked to the bathroom to wash up while I paced around the nursery, which had been painted like a forest. A yellow sun-shaped lamp swagged from a chain in one corner, while a globe-like moon did the same on the opposite side. The mood felt warm and cheerful, and it made me think of the Valentino's cabin in the woods, where our little bundle was conceived. What did I want our baby's nursery to look like? Would Vincent want a say in it?

Before I knew it, Jillian had fallen asleep in my arms, and Adele walked over to steal her from me. I wanted to tell her I didn't mind holding the sleeping babe, but Adele knew better what her child needed. So, when Jillian was tucked peacefully into her crib, we left the nursery and relocated to the living room.

Bianca Lassiter had been busy preparing food in the kitchen, and the scent of freshly baked zucchini bread and herb tea followed her as she joined us with a full tray of goodies. We talked about babies and current events, and I forgot about my own personal drama for a while.

"So, I take it Claudette and Colin are still at the Valentino cabin?" I said, finding an opening in the conversation to talk about Colin's engagement news. What I hadn't expected was for Bianca to stiffen in her chair. She tried to hide it, but Adele and Amelia had done it too, and silence took over the room.

"Yes, but I expect them back this evening," Bianca offered, although it was already too late.

"Um, have I missed something?" I said, giving each of them the eye. "I know awkward silence when I hear it."

Adele and Amelia nodded at Bianca, as if giving her the green light to share what they all knew. "Well, Claudette and Colin are finally considering a commitment."

"I heard. Wren told me. But she didn't look like I'd given her an eviction notice."

Bianca sighed, looking more uncomfortable by the minute. "Wren is a darling. She would never say anything that might upset you, especially in your condition."