Chapter 1

"Lina, thank you for fixing me up." I told the stylist in my thick Italian accent.

If we're being honest I didn't really need her to do my hair but it's the kind of luxuries that a girl wants to give herself. A little pampering goes a long way in female happiness.

"It's no problem, it was nice meeting you." the human said.

"You as well." I replied, giving her the tip.

After paying her I walked outside and waited for the right moment to run off. My vampire speed is something that I take great advantage of, it's one of my favorite parts of being a vampire. If not my only favorite part.

For the moment, I'm living in Buffalo, New York. After googling overcast cities this appeared to be the cloudiest and this is where I've been for the past three months. Due to my . . . upbringing, I have to move constantly. I do not wish to be found by my family, I've been running from them for over two and a half centuries and I do not wish to go back home. I had three months this time and for that I'm grateful.

Being the daughter of The Volturi brings many enemies which is why not many know who I am. If they were to find out and try to take advantage then, they would have to be taken care of. I don't condone violence, another reason my family and I don't really match up well, but I will save myself whatever way possible.

When I made it back to my apartment building I noticed a scent, one that I haven't smelled in quite some time and I don't wish to either. The easiest thing to do right now is just to confront and then run, that's how this works. That's how this has been working since I decided to leave my home in Italy all those years ago.

I opened the door and found one of my father's henchmen waiting for me.

"Cosa vuoi?" I asked Alec. (What do you want?)

"Tuo padre vuole che torni a casa." he replied. (Your father wants you to come home)

"Gli ho già detto che non tornerò. Dopo tutto questo tempo digli di rinunciare." (I already told him I'm not going back. After all of this time tell him to give up)

"Non ha intenzione di rinunciare sei la sua unica figlia." (He's not going to give up, you're his only daughter)

"Non torno indietro Alec, digli di lasciarmi in pace. Non sarò come loro, mai." I told him. (I am not going back, leave Alec, tell him to leave me alone. I won't be like them, ever.)

"Torna a casa, Elisabetta, ci manchi. Mi manchi." he replied, cupping my cheek with his left hand. (Come home, Elisabetta, we miss you. I miss you.)

"A tua sorella non piacerà. Quel posto non è a casa per me, non è mai stato così. Non sono come te e non ti permetterò di cambiarlo." I replied, removing his hand and walking away. (Your sister won't like that. That place isn't home for me, it never was. I'm not like you and I won't let you change that)

"Fine, he's not gonna like it." he said, sighing.

"I don't care, I'll never go back there, Alec. Mai." (Never)

"Until next time, Elisabetta."

"Until never, Alec."

I waited for him to leave to change my clothes and start packing. Demetri will be able to find me no matter where I go but I get a few months in between visits. It's time for a change, and I don't want him to come back too soon. Having to dress according to human weather I put on a pair of jeans, black long sleeve top with a burgundy scarf, grey jacket, and brown boots even though I don't get cold or sick. I just like to look good.

I grabbed my suitcases and packed everything, absolutely everything that I had and called a taxi, to go to the airport

I grabbed my suitcases and packed everything, absolutely everything that I had and called a taxi, to go to the airport. On the way over I started to google overcast places again and purchased a ticket for the first flight out to Portland before arriving. There was a two-hour wait and I was fine with that.

Portland is pretty and it was raining heavily when I arrived, which was highly appreciated. I went straight to a hotel, planning on spending a few days there before starting to look for an apartment. My only issue for the moment is finding something and somewhere to eat.

Thankfully no one really notices the vampire attributes on me as they do on other vampires. My physical qualities are a little different from your normal vampire as well. My eyes are naturally green and they remained that way even after I turned. Aro suspects that it's because I was so attached to my humanity that I retained my natural eye color. When I'm hungry they just look hazel or occasionally very dark brown.

My hair is long and multi-colored, I got it done once and loved it. Since my hair doesn't grow I've never had to get it done again, I just enjoy the beauty salon. I'm a tad on the shorter side at 5'5 but I wear a lot of really high heels to make up for it.

I decided to take a walk around the hotel to see what's around me and check my meal options for tonight. I was so engrossed in my cell phone that I honestly didn't see that I was about to walk into someone until I did. People normally have a sixth sense and shy away from my kind so I didn't really pay attention.

I heard him walking but didn't realize that we were in the same path. The bad thing about that was, this person felt just like me. I had a pair of big sunglasses on and looked up to see a familiar man that I haven't seen in quite some time.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to knock into you." he cautiously said, having noticed the same thing I did.

"It is okay, I was not paying attention." I replied, stiffening when I realized that he wasn't alone.

"Are you . . ."

"How much of a coincidence is it that there are three of us, of our kind, in this particular place?" I asked him, not mincing words.

"A large coincidence actually, hello Elisabetta." he replied.

"You know her?" his lady companion asked.

"Carlisle, it has been quite a long time. I believe the last time was just after your first creation ran off."

"Yes, it has and that was the last time. What brings you to Portland?"

"Still running from my fathers, what brings you here?" I replied.

"Carlisle, who is she?" the lady asked.

"Elisabetta, this is my wife and mate, Esme. Esme, she is Elisabetta, an old friend." he politely told his wife.

"Esme, it is nice to meet you. It is nice to see that you found happiness with someone Carlisle, you never belonged with them. You're too good of a person." I told him.

"It is nice to meet you too." she curiously said.

"Carlisle is quite the gentleman, let me tell you where I know him from. I was . . . born again in Volterra, during his last year there. Aro considers himself my father, all of them do." I told her, smiling when she jerked back.

"You're The Volturi's daughter?" she asked.

"Yes, Elisabetta Canalis, at your service."