Chapter 9. a hypnotic turn of events

When I woke up not only was I covered in mud but the others seemed to be controlled by something or someone. I look at the counselors for the culprit and the guy's eyes were glowing. That's when the hive queen started talking in my mind saying: "Nathan we have a problem, I can't reach Xavier." I tried to sneak up on him but he noticed me before I even left the sand, which we were now somehow back at camp. 

"So you're finally up. Why don't you join your friends? I'm pretty sure you'd have as much fun as they are" he said to me, trying to sound convincing.

I look around and Xavier didn't even acknowledge that I was awake. One of the other counselors was playing with him in the water. The others seemed playful but obeyed her orders pretty much to a tee. One of them was even shading her; both of whom were eating some leftover fruit.
That's when he tried to make me lay down. I resisted, me being focused on getting him to release his control keep me out of his grasp. It didn't feel right despite them not being in danger. "I think I have something your Symbiote friend would like," he said to me, pulling out a dark chocolate bar. 

"Oh is that that I think it is," The Symbiote said as it grabbed it out of his hand. I felt compelled, probably by the Symbiote, to take a bite out of it. "That taste, that easily calms my nerves" I heard it say to me. The taste was relaxing the 2 of us, mainly because I was focusing on the taste of it. It being calmed ended up calming me farther somehow.

After eating that I easily laid down. He then laid his head on one of my front legs. I then laid my other front leg over his legs and my head in his lap. "Nathan, your definitely one of a kind. I can tell there's more to you then meets the eye," he said to me, handing me some durian. As I munched on it those words echoed in my mind.

As the day went on I was swimming and playing up till dusk. When it came time to sleep he still had me under his control. "Sleep easy everyone, you're going to need it," he said to us. As he slept I was regaining control. He must have lost control while he slept. I was able to reach Xavier after an hour and he somehow sounded happy.

"That was a lot of fun Nathan, I almost don't want this to end," he said to me. 

"Yeah, but I think you'll be surprised to learn that the male counselor was mind-controlling us" I replied. 

"What matters is that we're having fun. At least he wasn't doing it for the wrong reasons" he replied. 

I suppose he was right, we weren't in harm's way when he did it. What my main question is why, why did he do it. Whatever the reason at least we were safe and had fun.

When we woke up they looked like they were recovering from what happened yesterday. "Man my head, what happened yesterday that caused that," I heard one of them say. 

"It was probably him doing mind control. he was doing that yesterday" I said to them. 

"Man why would he do that. I'm just glad we're heading home today," he said to me. 

"Okay now you can change to your human forms," he said to us. 

As we each changed to our human or partly human forms I finally got a look at their faces. They were each from different ethnic groups, backgrounds, and religions and we got along so well even after we saw who each of us was truly like. As we talked my grandma pulled up to pick me and Xavier up. 

"Nathan, Xavier, come on!" One of the counselors said to us. When we got in Xavier look a bit concerned about something, but I didn't want to bother him then.

When we got to St Louis my grandma had to drop us off to fly the rest of the way to Xavier's hive. "You know how to get home Nathan, I know you can you've done it before," she said to me.    When we flew to the entrance something just felt odd why he wanted me to head inside.