Chapter 9

A few days passed since the whole Drew incident occurred. Despite telling Camila that she would, Lauren had decided against going to the doctors again. She didn't want to have to tell her mom what had happened, not wishing to worry the woman, and she had no idea how to fully explain the situation without telling about Camila's existence anyways. Besides, she figured since she could still walk there was no need for alarm.

It was a few hours after school had let out for the day, and Lauren was currently making her way down to the library, her backpack slung precariously over one shoulder. Ever since Camila had frightened the bully and his goons, Drew had made himself quite scarce in Lauren's life. Lauren had to admit, it was quite a nice change, but she was still taking no chances, deciding to continue any and all research sessions at the public library instead of the school's.

She was planning on continuing her digging with police tracking methods, hoping to find a way to catch the escaped murderer that had slain Camila.

While she had already initially had her head set on helping the ghost, her resolve had further hardened itself when Camila saved her from Drew, and Lauren had been secretly formulating a plan to catch Camila's killer, her mind hardly focusing on anything else ever since. The brown eyed girl was nothing but sweet and innocent, and fate was just being cruel by keeping her locked away. Lauren was going to free Camila if it was the last thing she did.

Arriving at the designated building, she readjusted her backpack on her shoulder, pushing her way through the library's doors. However, the green eyed girl froze in her tracks, annoyance shooting through her spine when her eyes landed on Drew. He was standing at the front desk with his arms crossed on the counter, and judging by Austin's distressed look, the jock was being a nuisance again.

The sound of the door swinging shut behind Lauren caused her to flinch, and Drew's line of sight flickered over to her in a predatory manner. Instinctual fear crawled through the younger brunette's body, her widened eyes meeting that of her tormentor's familiar cold and arrogant gaze. However, Lauren was able to notice something different this time, instantly picking up on something not usually there during the bully's tormenting: the small signs of Drew's faltering confidence, his eyes widening ever so slightly as he swallowed hard. He was scared too, and that was all she needed to feel a flicker of assertiveness, her face hardening into a glare.

"Get out of here, Drew," she heard herself say, her voice cold and biting as adrenalin pumped through her veins with her nervousness. A look of mild annoyance crossed his face at this.

"Fuck off. Free country, lesbo," he growled back. However, he seemed to regret it as soon as he said it, a wary expression crossing his face.

Lauren saw this, and she raised a challenging eyebrow at him in response, smirking.

"Caaameeeelaaaa," she whisper-called in a sing-song tone, looking around as if expecting Camila to show up. Of course, the spirit wasn't actually in the library at all, but Drew didn't know this.

The boy immediately sprang away from Austin and Lauren at the mention of the ghost's name, pointing at the younger brunette angrily. "No! Don't even-!" was all he was able to get out before whirling around, stumbling before bolting through the library's back exit.

Heart still racing, the realization of what had just taken place began to sink in, and Lauren's eyes flickered over to Austin as she registered what had happened with a look of wonder on her face.

"That. Was impressive," the boy said, smiling as he noticed the bewildered look on the girl's face.

"Dude, did you just see that? Did that seriously just happen?" she asked quietly, a slow proud grin making it's way onto her lips. She had never stood up to Drew like that before, and the rush of pride she felt seemed intoxicating, well worth the feat. It was invigorating, knowing she had literally chased one of the constant fears in her life away.