Chapter 4

Lauren clambered down the stairs quietly, yawning as she headed into the kitchen and popped two pieces of bread into the toaster. She was up an hour earlier than she usually was; the brunette planned to pay a quick visit to Camila so she could share the information she discovered the day before. Lauren had stayed up much later than she was used to last night, intrigued with the information she was finding within the ghost book. Said book was now securely packed in her backpack, discretely hidden behind her other binders and papers.

Becoming impatient, Lauren pushed the cancel button on the toaster, causing the two half- toasted pieces to pop up rather loudly. As she was buttering her breakfast she heard a rustling noise from within the living room, and alertness, along with a flash of annoyance crossed her as Michael tiredly sauntered into the kitchen.

"What are you doing up so early?" he asked, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"What are you still doing here?" Lauren questioned in response, now glaring intently at her toast as she buttered it.

"Your mother let me crash on the couch for the night, since I wanted to fix things between you and me," he responded.

"You think that's really appropriate? Sleeping over and stuff? Cuz last time I checked, that's not what divorced couples did," the brunette quipped.

"Don't start with the smart ass comments." Michael sighed, crossing his arms. "You never answered my question either."

"I'm meeting with a friend before school," Lauren responded nonchalantly, wiping the crumbs off the counter and into the sink.

She was trying to quickly clean up the small mess in hopes of leaving before the conversation went on too much longer, but to her annoyance Micheal stood in front of the fridge as Lauren went to return the butter.

"I didn't know you had friends," he said, and Lauren only narrowed her eyes in response. "What's this friend's name?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but I do have friends. And I'm meeting up with Camila before school, so if you'll excuse me," Lauren retorted, shoving the container of butter into her father's hands.

Snatching her toast as she walked past the counter, the brunette didn't even spare Michael a second glance as she pushed out the front door, popping a piece of toast into her mouth as she went.

-----

By the time Lauren had arrived at the familiar old shed, she had finished her breakfast and calmed down from her argument. Not hesitating in the slightest, the teenager began climbing through the window.

"Cameeelaaaaa," she whisper-yelled, hoping to catch the ghost's attention as she struggled through the window.

It was much more difficult with her backpack on, and after a few seconds Lauren fell to the mattress below, landing with an ungraceful thud. However, any frustration over her unceremonious entrance was pushed away as she heard Camila's infectious laughter echo through the shed.

"Jesus Lauren, what are you doing? And why are you whispering?" Camila asked, floating down to her green eyed friend. Lauren sat up into a sitting position, adjusting her hair quickly.

"I think I might have found the solution to your problem," Lauren explained with a grin. A thoughtful look temporarily crossed her face as she added, "and I'm not actually sure why I was whispering."

Camila chuckled at the girl's antics, shaking her head. "Okay, what problem are you talking about?"

"You not being able to touch stuff! I think I know how to fix it," Lauren explained, this time watching as Camila's face turned serious, vibrant brown eyes widening.