Chapter 41: Anger of the Lightning King

Start from the beginning

My body appeared into existence again right behind Zeus, but it didn’t do much as he punched me in the face as soon as I appeared. Gasping I staggered back, holding my broken nose. Once again my vision zoomed out and I healed myself. Zeus appeared behind me with his sword in a stabbing position, but this time I managed to block it.

We faced each other again. My breath was even and I was completely focused, while Zeus’s breath was coming unevenly as he tried to vent off the anger that was clouding his mind. He suddenly smiled.

“You’re not that bad,” he said, “If it wasn’t for the fact that you a great danger, I would almost like you to join us.”

I snorted, “Fat chance.”

Zeus just nodded, before attacking once more. His sword went in wild circles with seemingly no control. The one advantage I had over him was that I was better with weapons, more focused. He however seemed to know a lot more about the power of imagination, creating different things throughout our fight without thinking, almost. As we duelled I noticed a lost look in his eyes, as if he were daydreaming and this were all a memory.

‘That’s why his so good,’ said Reflamen.

He was staying back because he was to big to join in without getting in my way.

‘I know,’ I replied, ducking under a stroke and retaliating.

Zeus jumped back and before I could follow an earth pillar erupted before me. I crashed into it and fell back, gasping in surprise. Three more came from the ground around me, trapping me in a small earth cage. Feeling what was about to happen next I created a shield around myself. Sure enough the earth pillars suddenly moved inwards, trying to crush me. They just shattered on my shield.

I moved out of the dust made by the rocks quickly, trying to use it to my advantage. Zeus was ready for me and easily caught my swords on his own. We sparred back and forth for a while, trying to overwhelm the other with complex manoeuvres one could only do with imagination.

Zeus’s face contorted into one of frustration and annoyance when he realised that I was too much of a match for him when it came to swordplay. He jumped back, thrusting a blast of wind at me at the same time. I came off my feet and landed on the ground with a thump.

I rolled to the side as Zeus’s sword struck at where I had just been. Using imagination, I warped so I was standing upwards and behind Zeus, and struck. My sword cut through the flesh of his back causing the thunder king to cry out in agony. He warped a hundred metres away, clutching his back with pain.

Anger sparked back into his eyes. The flesh on his back melded back together as he healed himself from the first major wound of this fight.

“You should be proud,” snarled Zeus, “That’s the first blood I have drawn in a millennia.”

“Well you’re going to be getting that a lot more,” I replied.