Chapter 6

We drove for almost an hour. This is the farthest place that he is taking me, usually the places he takes me are somewhere in town.  Chris pulls into a parking lot that is mostly full. Everyone I see walking in is dressed in expensive beautiful clothes. Looking down at my dress, I realize it come no where near how their clothes look.

I look toward Chris unsure, "Are we at the right place?"

He rolls his eyes and opens his door, "Of course, Mady. I wanted to take you somewhere special tonight."

Chris gets out and walks to the front of the car. He motions for me to get out, while he checks his phone. Sighing, I look down at my dress. This wasn't how I planed the start of our night going. Glancing up at Chris, he is still on his phone. He was fine early, when he picked me up. What changed?

I got out of the car and walk up to Chris. "Ready to go in?"

He nods and we walk in. Looking around the restaurant, everything so beautiful. The chandeliers sparkle on the ceiling. The whole restaurant was filled with light noise of people talking and the sound of silverware hitting plates.

Chris touched my arm, "I'm going to go check on our reservation."

I nodded and went over to the busy sitting area. I sat down next to a beautiful lady in a red dress. As soon as I sat down, she leaned in closer.

"I think you need to dump him, Miss."

I quickly look over to her. "What?"

She looked at Chris before focusing on me, "He has been on his phone since you guys got here. Now either he has an important job or he is cheating on you."

I look over to Chris to see that he is still on his phone, "How do you know he doesn't have an important job. And how do you know he has been on his phone since we got here?"

She stared at me, "I saw you guys pull in. He didn't even help you with your door-"

"A gentleman should always open the door for a lady." The man sitting beside her leaned over to say.

She nodded, placing her hand on his leg, "John is right, no one in their right mind would let a beautiful girl open her own door on a date."

"Sweetie, I would say that he is cheating on you." John said.

"You guys could be wrong. It could be his work." I said quickly rubbing one of arms.

They glanced at each other before smiling to me sympathetically. "We could be," The lady said putting her hand on mine, "But if you get the chance, try to see who he is texting."

They soon got up and headed toward their seats. I sat there thinking about what they said. Maybe they are right, Chris has been acting weird every time I see him. No. I need to trust Chris. Those people don't know anything about us. It's probably just his work, there is nothing to worry about.

Chris came over and sat in the seat the couple left. "So, they said our spot is almost ready, it will just be a few more minutes."

We sat in silence until they called us to be seated. The waitress sat us down at a table in the middle of the room. Everything was even prettier up close. After talking to that couple, I didn't know what to say to Chris without making it seem like I was being crazy. I'll just stay quite until he says something.

He didn't say anything. Not even after we got our drinks or ordered our food. Once our food came, we started eating until his phone went off. I sat there eating while Chris texted on his phone.

Maybe I should say something, or at least question him. "Is everything okay?"

"What?" He glanced up at me, almost as if he forgot I was sitting with him, "Of course everything is okay."

I nodded and looked down at my food. This date was supposed to be the best date of my life, but now all I wanted to do was go home. I wasn't hungry anymore and clearly Chris was too busy to eat. Now I'm starting to think that couple was right about Chris. I need to see who he is texting.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom, then we can leave. Clearly you aren't hungry, I don't know why I brought you here." Chris said leaving before I could say anything.

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I looked at his spot. On the edge of the table was his phone. My eyes widened as I glanced up, Chris wasn't around. Wiping my eyes one more time, I grabbed his phone.

Oh my gosh, am I really about to do this? I let out a big breath. I need to know the truth. Slowly I unlock his phone, just as I did a text came in. Reading it, my eyes filled with tears. I went into his messages and read more. How could he do this? I covered my mouth, don't cry, don't cry. That couple was right, Chris was cheating on me.

"Ready to go?" Chris asked standing at the edge of the table. "Since you're not hungry, I was thinking we could go to a drive-in movie."

I shook my head, trying not to sob. My chest hurt so bad. "I jus..I just want to go home."

"Why?" Chris asked angrily.

Slowly I handed back his phone. Grabbing it, he glared at me.

"You went through my phone?" He said slowly his voice filled with anger.

I nodded, wiping my eyes, "You've been acting strange all night. Constantly on your phone, and you left it on the table. I just wanted to make everything was okay."

"That doesn't mean you go through my phone," Chris yelled, his face turning red.

All around us the restaurant went silent. "Maybe I should have done this differently, but at least now I know you are cheating on me."

Gasps filled the room. Chris continued to yell at me, while I tried to stop crying. Shaking his head, he walked away. I stared at him. I sat there for a bit more before walking out. Chris's car was gone, guess that means I'm walking.

I started the walk back, every breath hurt. Not to mention my feet. Reaching down I pulled off my shoes. This was not how a planed for my night to go. My eyes filled with tears again as I thought about what happened at dinner. Wiping my eyes, I shook my head. Quit thinking about it. You can think about it once we get back to the dorm.

My legs were cramping and my feet were sore. This was the most I have ever walked. I swear I have been walking forever. Looking up, the café was up ahead. Maybe Aubrey is there. Picking up my pace, I headed toward the café. As I walked into the parking lot, I saw Chris's car. Oh no. Turning around slowly I look into the café. Chris was inside making out with some blonde. I stood there wide eyed, looking into the café.

Chris stopped kissing her and looked out the window. Making eye contact with me, he frowned and went back to kissing the blonde. My vision blurred as I walked over to the side of the café with my arms wrapped around me. I started sobbing as I slid down the wall.

I remembered I had my phone with me and pulled it out. I called Aubrey.

"Madison how was your date?" Aubrey said cheerfully answering the phone.

"Can you...Can you come pick me up?" I asked sniffling.

"Madison! Where are you? What happened? Where is Chris?" Aubrey asked. In the background, I heard the sound of doors shutting.

"I'm at the café," I paused, "He's with someone else."

"That bastard." I heard the faint noise of Aubrey's car turning on. "Sweetie, don't move. I'll be right there."

I nodded and hung up. I was still curled up on the ground when Aubrey pulled in. Once she got out, she ran over to me. I didn't move, not even as she tried to get me up.

"Madison, we need to get up. Let's go back to the dorms. Okay?" She smiled sadly at me.

As I got up, Aubrey looked into the café to see if Chris was still there. He's not. I heard him and that girl leaving before Aubrey came, but I didn't have the energy to tell Aubrey that.

Once we both got into the car, Aubrey turned and looked at me, "Are you okay?"

I nodded keeping my head down staring at my hands. I had finally stopped crying and I didn't trust my self not to start crying if I tried to talk to Aubrey. Sighing, Aubrey faced the road and drove back to the dorm.