Ducks and Newbies

Skating around on the ice, warming up a little, the seven new kids roamed around. They were ready before the instructed time given by Don Tibbles. Within seconds, they turned as they noticed several kids skate out in the same uniform, holding their helmets and sticks, as they stopped behind the Coach in American colors, alongside Don Tibbles.

Garrett sighed, seeing who their Coach was. He turned his upper body to the left, half hiding behind his sister, who stared straight at them. Her mid-length hair, longer than Julie's, was in two braids behind her back and her helmet on, she bit her lip seeing the kids in matching uniforms. Garrett about dropped his helmet, knowing his dad was the Coach for this team. He was happy not to see his dad for a few weeks, but now the encounter came early.

He wasn't mad with his dad, he simply disliked him for not being there for him when he young. It was going to take some time to get used to the fact that it's not his sister, his mother, and him anymore. Now his mother is gone and his dad has returned. He didn't know a thing about his father, but seeing he was here, something must've happened. His dad used to play hockey when him up to the age of like six and a half, but then left for work.

Garrett won't forget the day he sat outside on the steps after school in the cold waiting for his dad to come home from work and play hockey with him in the laneway. He ended up with a bad cold and stayed home from school for two days because he could barely talk. Ever since that day, that's how he's remembered his dad. As the parent who thought work was more important than his own kid.

No one got introduced to the Coach, or the other team, as the Coach had already asked about his players. He knew beforehand that his kids were to be here. They must've been two of the seven standing across the rink from the eight Ducks. "Tell me 'bout my new kids." The Coach, in fact, Coach Bombay, the twins' father, spoke.

Already, Garrett rolled his eyes and turned slight. From next to Elliott, a boy pulled forward with a 'Miami' jersey on. "That's Luis Mendoza from our Miami Club. A real speedster. Incredible skater." Tibbles trailed on as the twins watched quietly. Mendoza skated off quickly, skating around the rink and twirling. When he came to stop, he couldn't and crashed into the boards. Several kids from the Ducks team had laughed as some of the Newbies helped him up.

Elliott felt bad for the boy, but knew he'd be able to stop next time, until she heard Tibbles speak up once again. "Has a little trouble stopping."

After helping him up, the Cowboy, a rookie, skated up to the center of the two groups. "Howdy, y'all ready to play some puck?" He asked.

"It's hop-along Gretzky!" One remarked, making fun of him.

"That's Dwayne Robertson, from Austin."

A sure cowboy, Elliott thought with a smile. Garrett nodded slightly, already know he'd be friends with this boy. In fact, maybe he'd like the newbies better than the Ducks from the looks of things. The Ducks seemed too critical and as if they'd stick together quite well.

Dwayne had picked up the boat, hitting it off his stick and catching. He skated around a few times, puck handling really well and most were impressed. Garrett leaned over towards his sister's ear. "He's a bit of a showboat."

"You're practically brothers." Elliott commented to her brother, nudging his shoulder as his stomach rumbled. She looked down at his stomach and then back up at him. He smiled sheepishly and looked away, knowing she was right.

Up next, Julie skated prepared herself at goal. Now, this interested Garrett as he turned and watched the Ducks try to shoot on her. Not one single goal entered the net, except one, which game from a taller boy by the name of 'Banks', says so on his jersey. She blocked every shot brought at her, but his, and that surprised Garrett because he ain't ever seen a female goaltender as talented as her.

Elliott ignored the Coach's comment of a goalie. "Well, we uh, could use a backup..." Meanwhile, their main goalie fell doing the splits and groaned. He looked highly incapable of beating Julie Gaffney, but Ellie kept her mouth sealed and watched Ken show off next.

He did a bunch of twirls and jumps. Spinning, skating, turning, and dekeing pretend players, he was able to handle the puck quite well. He mastered each jump he landed, even his triple turn, which amazed everyone. The fact that he was a figure skater surprised everyone thinking one couldn't possibly do both sports.

In the middle of his presentation, Dean Portman skated off from the boards, dancing away and singing at the peek of his lungs. Elliott crossed her arms, trying not to laugh at him, as well as Garrett, who chuckled through his caged helmet. Portman had thrown his stick for Julie to catch as she stood by the boards drinking some water and then grabbed Ken, sticking him on top of the net.

"That took a turn." Elliott whispered to her brother, who nodded and agreed.

"Who does this guy think he is?" Another tall broad shouldered boy spoke from the Ducks' team. he skated over to Portman to put him in his spot. The rest of the Ducks got in on it and so did some of the Newbies, except for Garrett and Elliott. Rhett could easily take one of them down with a punch to the face, causing a bleeding disaster, but he wasn't going to show off today.

The twins stood there, watching the exchange when the girl from the Ducks team came over to them. A smile on her face, she seemed really nice and Garrett didn't miss the opportunity to say a friendly hello to her. "Hi." He spoke.

"Hi. You two boys didn't seem to get the chance to be introduced. I'm Connie Moreau, by the way." She smiled sweetly, holding her stick and helmet in the same hand. She took a step back on her skates. The two wore the exact same yellow and black jerseys, with their names on the back of 'Garrett' and 'Elliott'. They didn't like using their last name because there was two of them and they played for the same team. Besides, they wanted to be different. So, they stuck with their first names. Garrett's jersey had a 'C' on the top corner while Elliott's didn't.

Elliott grew a little offender by the remark of 'two boys' because she wasn't a boy. "Elliott." She told her.

She nodded and looked at Garrett, the two twins still wearing their helmets, prepared to play. "Garrett Caldwell." He replied.

Turning, they heard Coach Bombay speak up loudly, stopping the arguments between the kids on his team. With his hands on his hips, he out done himself with a beautiful speech while getting cut off by Mr. Tibbles every few seconds. Tibbles got his whistle taken away, but stayed because he needed to introduce the last two players.

After everyone had settled down, Tibbles pointed to the twins who stood with the newbies, who stood tall and proud. "Lastly, we've got Elliott and Garrett Caldwell from Boulder City, Nevada. Exceptional players, never have I seen two devoted players who played so well with one another."

The smirked at one another pushed off two separate ways. They could not only skate quickly, but they had one another's back as they played. Never had the two been injured before, but they've been in a fight here or there.

Elliott started off on the right side, while Garrett took left. Garrett started off with the puck and skated down the ice, same speed as his sister. Passing the puck back and forth, they got to the blue line and crossed lanes. Elliott taking her usual left side and Garrett taking his usual right side. He shot the puck purposely off the boards behind the net at a precise angle. Elliott scrolled up as it rebounded towards her. Her stick lifting off the ice and came crashing down. It hit the puck towards the net and she shot on Julie Gaffney.

The two met behind the net and cheered, hugging one another. Coach Bombay shook his head, his arms crossed, and his children didn't notice him. "What have I done?" He mumbled to himself.