Ch. 1 (Edited)

...Vanishing...

He was flying weightlessly, as he tilted towards the gloomy skies. There was a bird-like screech and suddenly the sun glowed down painfully bright. He tried to shield his eyes but something had grabbed his arms and was shaking him. "Kyle! Wake up. Kyle!" His immersion now broken, Kyle could only grumble at his loss of sleep. But by the person's voice it seemed he wasn't the only one annoyed.

"What?" He huffed, still unable to open his eyes.

Kyle recognised Tommie's voice this time. At first he had mistaken his flatmate for his late night guest. Tommie didn't have the mostly manliest of voices so it was an easy mistake.

"Kyle, get up." His frustration was clear in his tone.

Kyle peeked through his lashes at Tommie. Brown strands poked out from his head whilst green eyes were glaring, eyes make brighter by the dark lining under them. Kyle hadn't even got up, but had somehow managed to piss Tommie off already. Must have been some sort of record.

He stretched, still groggy. "What's up with you?" Kyle squinted as he caught the morning light. Tommie had opened his blinds.

"What did I tell you about inviting girls over?" Kyle blinked slowly, what had he told him? "Damn it, Kyle! She stole my money. Fifty pounds from my wallet." Tommie fumed, his face going bright pink against his pale neck.

"I'll pay you back." Kyle said.

Tommie clenched his fists at his side, visibly shaking, he was never one for confrontation. "That's not the point!" He shouted. This was the third girl Kyle had brought home to have stolen from Tommie. But in all honesty, Tommie did leave his money everywhere. Kyle always paid him back though, and it was usually forgotten. Today was different.

"What is it then?"

Tommie diverted his gaze – Kyle knew then that he was right.

"I want you to move out." Tommie managed to look Kyle in the eyes but his voice was barely above a whisper. "You mess up the house, you bring home strangers and you-"

"Okay." Kyle cut in. It stung to hear Tommie say it, but he didn't need an explanation why. It was sad to see what they had become. Once inseparable kids ready to head into uni life as one. Then when that time came Kyle drifted apart from Tommie. They had always been different, but could relate on so many other things, family, money, friends. It was Kyle who chose to drown himself and cause Tommie such stress. The house was filled with tension – he couldn't even remember the last time they had spoken this long.

Kyle begrudgingly moved to sit on the edge of his bed, his hands ruffling his undercut messy blonde hair. "Just give me a few days to sort things out." He said as he watched Tommie nod, shocked by how easy it was.

Kyle felt a pang of guilt, he should have moved out ages ago.

He heard Tommie mutter an. "I'm sorry..."

Kyle almost laughed at the ridiculous apology, but knew it would be taken as an insult if he did. Tommie didn't need to apologise. Kyle knew what he had done. Letting his anger and resentment take over. He was pathetic. Going from Tommie's sworn guardian to a thorn in his side.

"No need to be sorry, Tommie." He couldn't stop the harshness of his tone. It was himself he was angry at not Tommie – that and his hangover.

Tommie bit down his words. They were so lost they didn't even know how to speak to one another normally.

Suddenly the silence felt suffocating. Kyle's head banged and pounded. He couldn't stand it. He needed to get out of the room.

He got up and slowly started to hobble out.

When he got to the sink he didn't even bother to grab a glass and just let the water flow into his parched mouth. His head throbbed less violently. Splashing his feverish skin with the cool liquid.

A female spoke sharply from the living room.

Kyle turned to see Tommie holding a remote, increasing the T.V. volume as the woman on the news continued.

"They are calling it the largest missing person's case in history. A rapid increase of vanishings all around the globe led to a shocking discovery of similar cases linked by their age and gender. Police suspect a cult may have some part to play, but what we know is that almost all countries seem to have been hit.

Police have advised men of ages 16-25 to say vigilant as they do not yet know how these disappearances occur. If anyone see anything suspicious officers ask that you report to the local police station. So far none of the suspected victims have been found."

The camera then panned to the woman and her co-worker. "Frightening isn't it. Seems no where's safe." She said to him.

The reporter nodded. "I feel awful for the families, they must be devastated."

They moved onto the next story as Kyle was left to process what he had heard.

He knew about the UK missing cases, but how could they be connected to so many other countries. It was insane. Like some conspiracy theory. Kyle knew the criteria: handsome, young, able bodied. But taken for what? Was it some secret army scheme? But then why did they have to be attractive?

He looked over at Tommie. His brown hair softly framing a young face. Tommie was attractive, healthy and only 21. In fact they both were. Only Kyle having a more angled face and tanned complexion. They were different kinds of attractive – but so were the victims. No seeming pattern or preference other than the previous criteria.

They were potential victims just like any other good looking guy out there, and soon he would leave Tommie alone. Vulnerable.

He felt paranoid.

Out of the entire population, what was the chance that he would be next?

But he couldn't shake the feeling of, what if? What if Tommie vanished whilst he was gone? He would never forgive himself.

He felt the cold sweat of fear. Tommie was a softie, both mentally and physically. Whilst he was good at talking, Kyle was good at fighting. Being only 5'8 didn't stop that. His problem was not knowing when to back down. If this was a case of kidnapping, Kyle didn't mind taking a beating to save them, but if he was gone Tommie might be seen as an easy target.

God he was terrified.

As if Tommie felt his gaze, he twisted and locked eyes with a no doubt crazy looking Kyle. His brows curved with confusion.

Kyle splashed some more water on his face.

What could he do now? He had ruined his chances at staying there. What would he look like if he suddenly acted concerned for Tommie. Like always, he needed something right after he had completely destroyed that bridge.

A voice broke him out of his spiralling thoughts. "You wanna go for a walk down the park with me?" Tommie said.

Kyle breathed. Easing his grip on the sink he managed a weak, but sincere smile to his old friend. "Yes."

N/A

New edits as promised,

There will be a lot more additional content added,

Scream if I've made errors.