Chapter 6

There are so many people today. Everywhere I look it's just people and too much of them. I feel like my space is being invaded. Like being crammed into an elevator except for the whole day.
So today it's competition day. To be honest I don't know exactly what we are commmorating but I think Sister Angela must have mentioned it but I simply forgot. Or probably didn't even hear it.
What happens on this day is we have other girls schools come to our school and we have sports competitions. We have about ten schools and there are so many people it's actually annoying.
I used to love people, I mean I still do but only when they come for me, you know when they come to see me. But these people don't even know who I am. A lot of them I can't even speak to because they are Russian, not that I want to talk to anyone anyway.
I only talk to Myrtle these days. We have grown really close lately. Maybe even closer than I was with Sam. I only talked with Sam once since our fight. I was coming from the bathroom and I was in the hallway on my way to the dorm and there I saw her coming towards me. There was no way to avoid her now—like I had been doing all this while—so I kept my head down and continued to walk.
To be honest I don't know what I felt towards her in that moment. I might have been angry at one point and then I was ashamed, kind of. Afterall it was me who actually did something wrong. I can't seem to forget how I threw her food in her face, some of it obviously got into her hair and finally I was seeing her for the first time since then.
As she passed by me in the corridor she bumped into me forcing me to look up. When I did she didn't say anything. I didn't want her to say anything. I was crossing my fingers that she would pretend like I wasn't there even though I knew that was highly unlikely and when it actually happened I was disappointed. I wanted to know what she would say. Is she plotting revenge or maybe she's just angry orsomething? I had to know but I was too proud to go to her and say anything.
"Emma." I heard her voice calling my name and I stopped moving. Slowly I turned around, she was about three meters away from me now.
"I'm not mad at you." She said and walked off. I was relieved but what does that mean?
I spent days thinking about that. I'm not mad at you. Could we still be friends? I wished to go back to how things were before. Not that I don't like Myrtle but she's just different from Sam. Besides you can have multiple friends.
I didn't have to talk to Sam about anything until practice yesterday. I have been playing netball and I have been in the second team since I got here. Sam on the other hand is the captain for the first team. So yesterday I was promoted to the first team after someone from the first team had an injury and I have to talk to Sam. My coach told me to see the captain before registration in the morning.
So I'm lying in bed right now and I don't want to wake up. Waking up means I have to go and see Sam but I'm not ready for that. So I stay in bed. I'm probably gonna miss breakfast and call in for sick or something I just can't go today. Almost everyone is gone and I am still in bed pretending to be sick.
Just when I thought I am finally alone I hear Mrytle as she enters the room.
"Oh my gosh!" She called her high pitched voice filling the room. "What do you think you're doing?"
"I'm sick." I said.
She came to my bedside and sat on my bed. "Oh shame, poor baby." She said. "What's wrong?" She asked.
I hadn't thought of that.
"Ummm I don't know. I'm just feeling sick."
She put my face in her hands. Then I realised something. I didn't want to be in the same room with Myrtle, alone. It just doesn't feel right. One day she tried to kiss me.
We were in the library and I was helping her to look for a book. It was during lunch and the librarian had left for lunch so had the other students. It was just the two of us. She moved towards a romance section and pulled out a book which she called her favourite novel. It had a lesbian couple on the cover. Then she smiled looking at it.
"Have you ever kissed a girl before?" She asked her eyes focused on the book.
"Not while sober." I said. "Have you?"
"Multiple times." She said.
She put the book back. "So you have never kissed a girl while sober?" She asked again and I nodded.
She looked me in the eye. "You should try it." Then I could feel the space between us closing. She got so close our noses were brushing. I wanted to move or push her away or something but I just froze like that. I think part of me wanted it. I had not been kissed in long time and Myrtle was gorgeous so I let and she kissed me. I know I said she tried to kiss me but the truth is she actually did. The moment our lips touched I quickly left the room and we never talked about it again and I made sure not to be left in the same room with only her.
So now as I lay in bed I try to get up. I tell her I feel fine but she doesn't want me to get up.
"No, you have to rest." She was pushes  me down.
I try to get up again. "Really I have to go for registration."
She pushes me down again. "You can go just get better first." She said and I give up. Then she kisses my forehead.
"What are you doing?" I ask.
"It's for good spirit." She says then she kisses both of my cheeks. The moment I realise where this is going I get up, by force this time and I overpower her. She's too small to hold me down.
"I have to go." I say. Somehow I had the energy to actually talk to Sam. And not just about the game this time but about everything.
"Good luck." Myrtle says after me. I wanted to say something but I was walking too fast and I was already away.