Gray

Killua POV

"Killua pick it the fuck up you're not putting in maximum effort!" Coach Michael yells at me as I'm casually swimming laps in the pool.

Come on coach it's just warm up and I mean I'm pretty lazy. And it's not like we have a meet in a while. I'm chilling.

I surface at the end of my lane and adjust my goggles. I glance over to Ikalgo on the next lane and notice him working his ass off.

Tch, making me look bad. Honestly my parents put me through hell in swim training, fuck them, I can do whatever I want here.

Besides swimming was the last thing on my mind.

I push myself up from the edge and climb out of my lane. The cool air hitting my body as my body drips in water. I look up at the grey clouds blocking all the sunlight this morning.

Coach lets us go on our own for our warm up routine. After that it's go time and it's usually just endless sets drilled to kill us. Not that it came even close to my family's torture.

"Zoldyck come over here I'd like to speak with you" Michael yells from behind me.

Jesus you're not that far you don't need to yell.

I roll my eyes and turn around to casually walk towards him. I smile in his direction and cross my arms in front of my chest without a care in the world. "Yeah what's up?"

"What's up? It's definitely not your grades. Don't act like you didn't know what this is about" Michael huffs.

Oh. Oh, Fuck. Fuck-Fuck me.

I hug myself tighter as I try to play it off as no big deal. "Oh, right. Engineering classes have been kicking my ass. But don't worry I-"

"Actually I heard you haven't submitted a single program assignment in your coding classes" Michael interrupts as he glares me down.

I clear my throat and look nervously at away from his gaze. "How do you know about that?"

"Let's just say you're lucky this professor cares about you enough to bring it to my attention," Michael spits at me.

Michael is somewhat intimidating. His arms are buff as shit and he's slightly taller than me at 6'3. With his bald head gleaming from the morning sun and his tight swim gear shirt, he looks all the more intense.

"Does he care? He could've just talked to me then. Why bring it up to you?" I mumble to mainly myself but Michael caught it.

Coach looked surprised to hear me say that. He eyed me carefully before speaking. "It's probably because the professor realizes you aren't going to do it on your own. I mean you clearly haven't been putting any effort. So here I am trying to give you a push"

That left me speechless. Michael being slightly sympathetic? He was just scolding me a second ago. I'm basically on the verge of failing and being ineligible to compete... Why am I'm not being threatened to get kicked off?

"Uh-a push? No punishment or..." I trail off, completely baffled.

Michael puts his hand on my shoulder. I guess it was some sort of effort to comfort me, but all it did was make me feel uncomfortable. I never had any sort of friendly relationship with my coach.

"It took a while to think about what I should do. But nothing tells me you're not doing your work because you don't care. You seem to slack off in practice, but I see your eyes when you compete. You love it. Enough to where you wouldn't let academics get in the way. So there's something else going on. So I'm pushing you to finish these classes and pass them. Then we can talk about punishments and future plans" Michael announces loudly. His hand still on my fucking shoulder.