Taking a Break

"I think we should take a break," Adam says.

Hailey nods in agreement and Adam reached out and pulls her into a hug. This was just a friends with benefits thing, but it got more complicated than either of them expected it too.

"I'm gonna go," Hailey says ending the hug.

Adam lets go of her and watches her walk away. He heads to the car, needing to get to Molly's and knock back a few beers. He arrives at Molly's and finds Kevin and Jay right away and walks up to them.

"Hey! About time you get here!, Jay exclaims.
"Yeah sorry about that," Adam responds.
"Everything good?" Kevin asks.
"Yeah. Hailey and I are taking a break," Adam says nonchalantly. He doesn't want them to see he's hurting.

"I'm sorry to hear that Adam," Kim says. She was walking over to the guys when she heard the end of the conversation. Things were awkward with them, but she wants him happy.
"Thank you, I appreciate that Kim," Adam says shocked by her response. Though she's one of the best people he knows.

"You need a shot. Herman we need a round!" Kevin yells across the bar.
"To Adam and may he find a new girl to heal his heart or bed," Jay jokes as a toast.
"To Adam!" They all say.

He nervously looks over at Kim, he doesn't want her to think he's going to try to find a girl to get laid. It's always been important to him that Kim isn't disappointed in him. He thinks they're on their way to rebuilding an actual friendship. Especially after the locker room talk, he's so sorry for hurting her and he'll always be there for her.

Kim can tell something is on his mind but she's not sure if she should chalk it up to Hailey or if it's something more. Whatever it is has Adam lost in his thoughts, he's barely touched his beer. Which is very unusual for him. She walked over to him and nodded, signaling for him to walk with her. She wanted him a little bit away from the group.

"Are you okay Adam?" She asks.
"Yeah I'm good." He responds.
"Just know I'm always here if you need to talk," she replies.
"Thanks Kim, it means a lot," he responds. She nods and pats his arm before walking back to Halstead and Atwater. Adam hangs back for a minute, it still throws him off when he has moments with Kim. He still loves her, but there's a lot of baggage there they have to sort through.

"I think I'm going to head out," Kim tells the guys.
"You good girl?" Kevin asks.
"Yeah I'm just tired. I'll see you guys tomorrow," she responds.
"I'll walk you out," Adam says.

She nods and waved goodbye to the other guys.
"You didn't have to do this Adam, I can defend myself," Burgess states.
"I know, I just wanted to make sure you're safe and okay," Adam says. It has double meaning, he wants to check in on her.
"I'm good. Just tired I promise. But thank you," she replies.
"Okay well I'll see you tomorrow,night," he says.
"Goodnight Adam", she responds.

He watches her get in her car and drive away. He can't help but wonder if she could ever love him again. She's the one who got away. Yeah he had a thing for Hailey, but it wasn't anything like Kim. Hailey was more physical and Kim was more emotional. He shakes his head and heads back into Molly's to finish his beer with the guys.