Original Edition: Chapter Thirty

Start from the beginning

"You know," Saint started, "tomorrow is your last day."

She knew exactly what he was talking about. She couldn't really forget it, but she allowed him to continue anyway, pretending as if she was still focused on the discarded bicycle. "You'll have to pick if you want to stay with us, or go back home. Do you know yet?"

Naomi took the time to contemplate her next choice of words, a habit she'd gotten so used to. Going back home meant seeing her brother, her mother, Ben, Aspen, structure and stability. However, going with the Guise meant Saint, Chyna, Sully, Cairo, Lia, masks and meaning. Weighing them felt unfair, but she supposed it was a decision she couldn't put off much longer.

"Guys!" Lia screamed, running toward them. "Get down in the basement! You...you have to see this." Looking at Lia and not seeing her usual sinister smile but instead, something fearful, was enough to churn Naomi's stomach. The girl ran past them to call Sully and they all shared a look. Saint, Naomi and Cyna raced into the hut and down the steps, bustling their way into the basement. However, despite entering in a blur of questions and footsteps, Cairo did not even turn around. He was sitting stiffly in his chair, centred in the room, eyes glued to the television screen. Suddenly the overstayed pizza boxes and sweat-coated sofa smelt rancid. Their eyes followed Cairo's gaze.

"...the mayor of Riverside California implementing an immediate curfew for the next three months. Mayor Fowley, many citizens are questioning your logic for such a busy city. Especially without any prior notice, people cannot help but wonder if you've made any real consideration for the lives of your citizens."

By now, everyone was at Cairo's side. Saint even stooped a little to look at him but his best friend's eyes were lulled into horror.

"What's happening?" Sully said, entering the basement with Lia.

Lia held his shoulders and whispered solemnly. "Watch."

On the television, the camera panned to the Mayor.

"Sharon, I've had enough time to think. These so-called Guise must be caught by any means necessary. They have caused nearly fifty thousand dollars in damage to public and private property, mock me and our legislators and treat Riverside's streets like a skate park. But on top of all that, now they've done their worst act yet."

"And, what is that Mayor Fowley?"

His jaw worked and something vile came up his throat. "The Guise have kidnapped a young girl. Naomi Morgan."

All the hairs on Naomi's arms stood straight as if an arctic gust was out to frost her very soul. A prerecorded clip began playing.

It was Lilac. The store clerk.

"These two kids came in. A boy and a girl. And I thought it was weird that they were buying animal masks but I didn't question it. Looking back at it now, the boy was doing all the talking and the girl was just standing there silently. She definitely looked a little shaken up. Then, he screamed at her to come with him and I don't think she had a choice. It wasn't until I ran outside trying to chase them that I saw this."

She held up the missing person's flyer.

"And I recognised that girl was Naomi Morgan. And I knew she was in trouble."

Another pre-recorded video began playing. This time, there were three people on the screen.

"Naomi," began Mrs Morgan, "if you can see this or hear this just hold on baby. We're doing everything we can." There were tears overflowing from her eyes but she still managed to look directly into the camera, an iron grip rumpling the shirt of her silent son standing in front of her.

Mr Morgan's bottom lip was trembling. "Our daughter would never steal of her own will. She already has everything that she needs right here. If anyone can give us the location of our daughter, we will give you a reward of one hundred thousand dollars in cash. Please, if you know something, say something. Bring our daughter home and put those menaces behind bars." A single tear cascaded out of his baggy eyes right as his wife jumped into his chest and emptied herself.

Mayor Fowley was back on screen. He was looking straight into the camera this time too.

"As of now, The Guise are criminals in an ongoing police investigation. If they do not turn themselves in or refuse arrest, The Riverside Police Department has orders to shoot on sight. Anyone caught aiding them will also face serious charges. People of Riverside, I urge you to stand in solidarity with the Morgan family. The Guise, despite how you may feel about them, are criminals. And now, Riverside's top priority."

Everything else he said after that fell on deaf ears, the television a white noise that would never stop disorienting them. Every comb and hair product fell from Chyna's hands and Sully buckled to the floor as he echoed the horrific look staining Cairos' face. Naomi took weak steps backwards, an exhale trembling her entire body.

They all turned to her.

Author's Note

Well, damn. Talk about two sides to every story.

This week's dedication goes out to one of my most LOYAL readers. Tiscon this one is for you! I literally don't know how you didn't get a dedication before. I had to search through all my chapters just to double-check! You are soooo supportive! Sometimes you're the first to vote and I know I can rely on seeing you in my notifications. I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far and you keep reading even with the paywalls! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You're amazing! Remember, if you vote/comment the next dedication could just be you!

I just wanted to drop by here and let you guys know that my exams are slowing down and now I have SO much time to write. It's been beautiful. I'm getting back into writing and I feel amazing. I think I'll still keep this schedule though just because it gives me a lot of time and I prefer it this way.

Also, on Wednesday, myself and a couple of other authors in the Paid Stories Program did a #WattpadWednesday where we went all out on all our social media platforms and it was so much fun! It was a huge success and I even did a really cool Q +A on my Instagram! If you guys aren't following my socials you need to get on that too so you don't miss a thing ever again. Once again, link's in my bio! Have a great weekend, readers!

 Once again, link's in my bio! Have a great weekend, readers!

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER...

At that point, Naomi was sure Cairo was crying...