Chapter Nine

Lori's POV

Nearly two hours have passed since Mike and I were notified about Elise's disappearance. James and I still sat together and cried on our couch back at home. Mike went and quickly changed into a black t-shirt and Jeans. He was also leading up a pistol, I hold James' head into my chest so he doesn't see it, "Mike!? What the hell!? Where on earth did you get that!?" I ask shocked. Mike puts it on safety and puts it in his back pocket, "I've had it...for a couple years" he says. James popped his head up, "What is it?" He asks quietly, Mike shakes his head slowly, "It's nothing buddy..." he whispers. A tear fell down Mike's cheek as he finished answering James, "What are you gonna do?" I ask him. Mike snatches the keys to the truck from the counter and looks back at me, "I'm going to get our daughter" he says. For a moment I felt a little bit of that nostalgia from twenty years ago when Mike had rescued me from the drug goons. At the same time, that unspeakable horror still lingered within...because even though Mike and I have been through this before...this was a new ballpark since it's out nine year old daughter!. James walks over to Mike while wiping away tears from his face, "Dad...I'm scared..." he says, Mike kneels down to James' height and puts a hand gently on his shoulder, "Look son, your mom and I need you to be really really brave tonight okay? And for your sister, she's counting on all of us! And I promise you...we're gonna get her back!" He says. Mike pulls James inward and gives him a big reassuring hug, James hugs back. When Mike pulled away he looked back over at me, "You're going alone!?" I ask. Mike nods, "Yes, I want you to stay here with him" He says. I felt like I needed to go with him, but James can't be by himself in this kind of situation. Like Mike had said...James needs the both of us! Not one of us! That phrase kept playing in my head. I sit back down on the couch, "Fuck!" I whisper. Mike walks over to me, "Lori, it's going to be fine! I need to do this! We can just sit here and wait for the police when our little girl is out there by herself with some...freak!" He says. I sigh and take a deep breath (again not helping) and nodded in agreement. We should be doing this together! I can't let him go alone!...what if he never comes back!? What if something happens to NOT only Mike...but Elise too!? These sinister thoughts kept invading my mind. Mike took my face in the palm of his hand...he leaned in...and kissed me, "I love you Lori...So much!" He whispers. I felt my heart breaking even more....I wanted to say "I love you" back...but my words were frozen in my throat and wouldn't come out. Instead...a bunch of crocodile tears. I've never felt so much emotional pain in my life...I can't lose Mike!. I saw Mike's eyes tearing up as the tears rolled down his cheeks...but his face was straight. Now I know that face he was talking about. And I felt I needed to tell him about what happened that night twenty years ago.. before he arrived at the crack house to save me...because what if this was the last time I see him?, "Mike...When you see me...in those moods that get triggered for...really no reason...and why it's been happening even more recently...Twenty years ago before you had come to that house to save me...I was...I-I..." The rest of my words won't come out! And there was really only one word left, Mike looked deep into my eyes with a very worried and yet concerned look. I realized James was still in the room so I leaned in close to his ear and whispered, "I was raped that night..." I instantly pulled back from Mike. His face expression was something I had never seen on him. He looked so broken...very broken...that isn't even close to the best way I can really describe his face expression.