9.

That night, after dinner I spent two hours talking to Laina again. I told her about my day and especially about how the boys let me play baseball and truly seemed to accept me into their friend group. She told me how excited she was for me that I was starting to enjoy my time here and how badly she wanted to visit me. I had asked my aunt and uncle last night at dinner if she could come visit sometime and they graciously agreed. Laina's parents agreed that she could visit after her youngest sister, Jenny's birthday. So in just two weeks time Laina would finally be with me again. Back home we spent nearly every day together. It was weird not being able to be with her constantly.

After getting back from my run I put Emery outside and grabbed a banana. I had just sat down at the dining table when Scotty came bounding into the room, baseball glove in hand.

"Come on, Lynn! We're going to be late," Scotty motioned to the front door.

"Late for what?" I asked, confused.

"For baseball," Scotty explained in a 'duh' tone.

"Oh!" I exclaimed in realization. They were going to let me play again! I jumped up and followed Scotty out the front door.

Today, Ham taught me how to be a catcher. I borrowed his helmet thing, I'd already forgotten what the name was, while he went and played first base. I felt even more included in their friend group already.

~ ~ ~ ~

I spent every day that week playing baseball with the Sandlot boys. We spent all day out there in the blistering heat. And even though I was fairly athletic, by the end of the week I was sore.

Today however the temperature had reached 101 F so, we decided to hangout inside for a bit. We went back to the Smalls' house for popsicles. We took them to the backyard where we enjoyed the cold treat and hanging out in the shade of the big oak tree.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you guys, my best friend from New York is coming to visit!" I exclaimed.

"Another New Yorker?! I don't think I can handle two of you," Ham said jokingly.

"Don't act like you don't love the New Yorker you know," I stuck my tongue out.

Ham rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"What friend?" Scotty asked.

"When are they coming?" Bertram asked.

"Sorry, Scotty, I guess I thought your mom would've already filled you in. It's Laina. Her flight lands this Friday."

Ham started laughing and Bertram turned to Scotty. "Isn't that the chick you think is cute?"

Scotty's face lit up bright red. He looked at his shoes and wrung his hands together shyly. "Maybe... just a little. I've only met her one time and that was two years ago. M-maybe she's not anymore."

"Nope, as her best friend I can tell you she's absolutely beautiful, inside and out. But," I paused, not wanted to hurt my cousin's feelings. "She's more into tall guys."

I glanced at Bertram, whose face reddened. All the guys made 'ooh' sounds. We all looked at Scotty.

He shrugged. "It's fine. I'll grow one day."

Everyone erupted into laughter. Not the mean, teasing kind but, very light hearted. The boys all patted Scotty on the back. This friend group was already proving to be way better, and healthier, than my friend group back in New York. You could tell everyone genuinely cared about one another. They were just a bunch of close friends doing something they loved together.

I couldn't wait to introduce them to Laina. And my mind was already scheming on how to enact Mission: Beraina? Laitram? I would've have to come up with a better shop name later.

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far. Sorry this is such a short chapter, chapter 10 is in the works and boy do i have plans 😈xx,bailey