12.

"T-these are for you," Benny looked down as he practically shoved the flowers in my hand.

Was THE Benny "the jet" Rodriguez nervous? I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought I was the nervous wreck.

"Wow, they're beautiful. Thanks, Benny," I grinned. "You look good by the way. I don't think I've ever seen you in anything you couldn't play baseball in."

Benny looked up and smirked. "Hey, I can still play baseball in this."

And, he's back.

"We'll just have to see about that later, I guess," I challenged.

"Yeah, we will," He paused. "You look good, too, by the way."

"Thanks," I blushed.

"Come on already, Benny man," Ham sighed loudly. "Hurry and grab some food so we can get to the sandlot before the fireworks start."

Benny nodded and jetted off towards the tables filled with food. Laina poked me in the side making me jump.

"Ok, what was that?!" She whispered while the boys started talking about the fireworks they wanted to see tonight.

I shook my head. "I have no idea..."

"I knew he liked you, obvis," Laina shrugged. "But I definitely didn't foresee him having a romantic side!"

"You did not know that," I rolled my eyes. "I still don't know that, for sure. Maybe he was just being nice because I'm the only girl in the group."

Laina rolled her eyes back at me. "Then he should've gotten me flowers, too. He totally likes you."

"You're ridiculous," I laughed. I pulled out one of the blue flowers from the bouquet and handed it to her.

Laina beamed.

"Aww," She gushed. "Alright, serious talk. Do you want him to like you?"

"Well... I don't not want him to like me," I paused. "Ok yeah, I want him to like me. But, I also leave at the end of the month."

"And? What's summer without a little fling? Come on, we're thirteen! We've need to live a little while we're still basically without consequence. Besides, if it goes bad then you leave soon and it won't matter. If you do end up liking him a lot then you can keep in contact. What's meant to be, will be. You know?"

I hesitated. She had some good points. "Que será será."

"Exactly!" She exclaimed. "Oh, let's go. The boys are heading out."

"Alright, I bet I can beat you there," I smirked before running off after the boys.

"That's not fair!" I heard Laina yell from behind me.

. . . .

We met up with the boys who were already spreading out on the field. I grabbed my mitt out of Scotty's backpack that lay open next to fence. Laina went and took cover in the dugout off the the side of the field. Sometimes Laina played with us but, clearly not tonight. Apparently in was one of the boys' traditions to play baseball until the fireworks start.

The sun was already getting low which told us that the fireworks were going to start soon. We played for about an hour when the first bust of light hit the sky. Everyone simultaneously stopped and looked up. We gathered on the pitcher's mound and looked up as the sky lit up and streaks of all colors imaginable.

I felt a hand slip into mine. I jumped a little and looked over. Benny shot me a grin though I could see the red creeping into his cheeks.

"Come on, I've got a better place to watch the fireworks," Benny winked.

I grinned. "Alright, let's go."

Turns out his better place was on the roof of the dugout. Benny led me over, hand in hand, and helped boost me up. I waited for him to pull himself up before taking a seat and lying back to I could have a better view.

Benny laid down next to me and looked up at the night sky. "Told you this was better."

I laughed. "Very much so. Are the firework shows like this every year?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it before. This definitely is at the top of my favorite fourth of Julys."

"Is the firework show the only reason?" Benny cheesed and turned to look me in the eye.

That's when we heard the sound of bikes turning up the dirt. I sat up and looked behind us just as Phillip and his team pulled into view.