15.

(I couldn't find what Phillips first name was so, I'm going to go with Will because that's what the actor's name is. I know a lot of people have used the name Jordan in their fanfics but... meh :) )

The mall was buzzing with activity. I wasn't even sure that all these people lived in the San Fernando Valley. Then again, it had grown substantially since I had last visited. I perused the shelves full of designer shoes. None of them really speaking to me at the moment.

After looking at cute ankle booties for as long as I could, I headed off to find the food court. Hopefully it would have Chinese food. I was really craving Chinese. I walked through the crowded area, window shopping as I went. A cute white blouse; an adorable pair of high wasted sailor pants; a couple hundred dollars worth of jewelry from Fred Meyers. I couldn't wait until we actually moved into the new house and I could fill my new closet with tons of new clothes.

Chinese! I was right. A cute looking restaurant called Le-Yon's. I quickly beelined it across the food court floor, eager for some lo mein and orange chicken.

"Holy shit! Braelynn?"

I turned, pretty disappointed I was being interrupted on my mission to get sustenance. But, I was curious enough to see who it was. I never really met many people in my time here other than my sandlot friends.

I gasped. Will Phillips. Enemy to the sandlot boys and my... I don't even know. Frenemy, I guess? So much had happened that summer that I couldn't really ever bring myself to completely hate Will. After all, he really helped my at the end of the summer.

"Phillips, hey," I smiled politely, side-eyeing Le-Yon's.

Will strolled towards me with even more confidence then he had had as a kid, if that was even possible. He was dressed in a baseball uniform and followed by at least half a dozen guys in similar uniforms.

"Wow, you are probably the last person I expected to see back in San Fernando," Will shook his head with an easy smile.

I tried not to get distracted by his cute, dimpled smile. He was cute back when we were kids but now, sheesh. Boy should come with a warning label. Danger: You might melt at that stupidly cute smile.

I shrugged. "Surprise. I'm actually moving here for senior year. My parents bought a house here."

Will's smile grew. "Are you kidding? That's great. You'll love San Fernando High."

"I hope so," I laughed. "I see you're still playing baseball."

"Of course," Will replied with a shrug. "Somethings never change."

"Good for you. You were always one of the best, in my opinion," I glanced again at Le-Yon's, my tummy growling.

"We just finished up practice and were looking for a bite to eat. You should join us," Will invited warmly.

"Oh, sure," I said a little off-guard. Just little ol' me and a third of the baseball team. On second thought... "I've been eyeing Le-Yon's over there so, I'm going to go order."

"Le-Yon's is the best, I'll come with you," Will said.

The other boys split off to go find some food while Will and I made our way over to the line for Le-Yon's. I ordered a bowl of lo-mein and orange chicken and headed to the cash register to check out.

"Hey, I got it," Will said jumping in front of me and handing the lady at the register some money.

"Oh, are you sure?"

"One hundred percent. Think of it as a welcome back to California gift," Will said.

"In that case, how can I refuse?" I smiled.

Will turned serious all of a sudden. "It really is good to see you again."

I could feel the heat creeping up my cheeks and I turned away to hide my blush. Will seemed like a completely different person now. Where was the arrogant brat that I had come to know and tolerate? Will seemed totally chilled out and... friendly? I wonder if that kindness extended to my old sandlot buddies. 

Will grabbed our tray of food and turned to face the chaos of the food court. "It looks like Matt and Dean have already found us all a table. Let's go."

Will introduced me to the guys as I took a seat in between him and his friend, Dean. I had only gotten one glorious bite of orange chicken and noodles before the questions started. 

"So, it's Braelynn, right?" Matt asked from across the table. 

I nodded. A handful of other teammates began filling in the rest of the seats. 

"How do you know Will?" 

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "I stayed at my uncle and aunt's here for a summer a few years ago."

"And now you're moving here for your senior year?" Dean asked. 

"Yep. My dad has work not too far from here and thought it would be best for us to move out here so he wasn't having to commute from New York so much," I replied, stealing another bite of food before another question could be asked. 

"Wait a minute, I think I remember you!" One of the boys, who I'd been introduced to as Red, exclaimed. "Your rolled with all of those sandlot losers, didn't you?" 

I felt my temper spike but I tried to keep my face neutral. My friends were not losers. 

"Red, shut up," Will snapped. 

My jaw almost fell to the ground as Will jumped to my friends' defense. Well, he sort of did. I was still used to him being the one to put down the sandlot and my friends. 

"Sorry," Red rolled his eyes, showing me he clearly was not sorry at all. 

"They... played baseball at the sandlot, yes. And yes, they were my friends," I responded carefully. 

Suddenly, I wasn't so hungry anymore. I was still angry. If these arrogant a-holes were still bullying my former friends then they had another thing coming. 

"Do you still play?" Red asked.

I breathed a little at the change of topic. "No, not any more. I was pitcher for my schools softball team for my freshman and sophmore year but, I quit after that."

"Too hard for you?" Red smirked arrogantly. 

"I bet she could out pitch you," Will said, jumping to my defense. 

"Doubt it," Red huffed, eyeing me up and down.

"Sounds like he's scared to me," I sighed, pushing my food away. 

Red's face turned... well, red. "I am not scared."

"Then why don't we put Will's theory to the test," I wiggled my eyebrows. "Unless you don't think you can beat me."

I could see Will smiling mischievously, looking back and forth between us, out of the corner of my eye.

Red grinned and stuck out his hand. "Fine. You're on." 

"It's a bet," I shook his hand. 

(A little bit of background teasers in this chapter. :) What do y'all think happened at the end of summer?)