16.

The plan was to meet up at the Willow Park's baseball fields at six o'clock. I pulled up to the park in my new car almost half an hour early. I thought I would be able to get in a quick warm up before Will and his friends showed up but, that wasn't going to happen. There was already a crowd of boys gathered around the home plate in one of the right fields. I rolled my head from side to side and tried to mentally prepare myself.

Obviously, this was all for fun. It wouldn't really matter if I won or lost but, I still wanted to try. I had talked to Phillips on the phone earlier and he said that we should play a scrimmage game; my team vs. Red's team. I got out of my car and straightened out my uniform. It wasn't a real uniform - just leggings and a cropped tank top - but, it was the best I could do without the majority of my luggage here.

I heard a low whistle sound from behind me. A tall, built looking ginger with freckles was strolling up to my car.

"Now that is a hot piece of machinery," The guy said, practically drooling over my car.

That voice. Those freckles. Holy sh-

"Ham?!" I exclaimed.

His confused settled on me for a second before clarity dawned in his eyes. "Lynn? Holy sh- it is you!"

He closed the distance between us in a few steps and wrapped me into a giant bear hug, swinging me off the ground. He set me down and stepped back, shoving his hands in his pockets.

He shook his head. "I can't believe it's you. Back in the San Fernando Valley. I know Scotty said you were coming but, seeing you here for real... is surreal."

I shrugged with a grin. "Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable to me, too. I never thought I'd be back here."

"Well, I'm glad you came back," Ham smiled genuinely.

I couldn't help but smile back, feeling a small weight off my shoulders. I missed Ham.

. . .

"Benny's an idiot! All boys are at our age," Ham threw his hands up in the air helplessly.

"I just can't be here anymore," I said quietly, my words coming out in between shaky breaths. "I can't. I did such a horrible thing."

I wiped the tears from my eyes. Ham looked at me sympathetically. I felt so guilty.

"It doesn't matter, Lynn. Whatever it is, we'll be okay," Ham said.

My heart broke at how sure he sounded. He didn't even know what I had done. Once he found out, I knew he wouldn't feel the same. He would hate me. They all would.

"Come out with us tomorrow," Ham suggested. "We're going to start fixing up the sandlot. It'll be fun; all of us working together. Like a team again."

"Ham," My voice came out as a strained whisper. "That's what I've been trying to tell you-"

"What is it? You can tell me."

"The Sandlot... I was the one who set the fire."

. . .

"Don't tell me you're the one who's going up against Red!" Ham exclaimed as it all clicked in his head.

I smiled sheepishly and ducked my head. "That's me."

"You're brave," He patted me on the head.

I rolled my eyes. "I think he's the brave one."

"Fair enough. You were always one of the best."