t h i r t y - f o u r

Start from the beginning

With odd big rooms that were plain white, then rooms that were filled with what they guessed were once weapons, but it had all been taken out, and isolated cafeterias, small rooms with beds and...it was all absurd.

The building was surrounded with people; news reporters, police, firemen, pedestrians, and journalists it was hard to get around the streets because it was so busy.

How did they end up getting away is beyond you, because they've become national gossip.

You wish they left you at least a goodbye so you could have some sort of closure, you feel like you're still grieving and the pain doesn't get better. 

You wake up for school this morning more tried than usual because you were up last night cramming in a few more pages on stem cell research for your biology exam you have today. 

Your teacher was supposed to make it a graded speech, she'd assign you a side, against or for the use of stem cells in medicine, and you'd have to talk about it for five minutes with a supporting PowerPoint.

But because the kids in your class are such a pain in the ass, she ended up making it an exam on two new topics including stem cells because she got angry. 

You drag your weak body out of bed and walk into the bathroom to pee before washing your hands and face and brushing your teeth.

You throw on a hoodie and yoga pants, tie up your hair in a ponytail, apply lip balm and throw your backpack over your shoulder before leaving the room.

You avoid looking at the empty rooms down the hallway and run down the stairs, putting on your Converse, "Good morning, sweetheart." your mother says from the kitchen as you sit on a stair-step to tie your shoes.

"Hey, mom. Working late today?" you ask, hopeful that she says yes.

"Mm, no, not today." she replies and you roll your eyes.

Your mother has never been really open with her job, and you know its because she hates it, people boss her around all day and she can say nothing back to it.

 Up until you were fifteen years old, you never actually knew what she did.

That is of course until you finally asked her. She works as an accountant for an indie clothing brand in Korea; 'Cherry Tops' it's called, they sell K-pop inspired clothes, and although it's small, many people know it.

She wanted to be a fashion designer, but her parents were against that, it was a shameful job for their smart daughter, so they made her take math, finance and economics, and she became an accountant.

She couldn't be a fashion designer, but she could work in fashion somehow, so she did, and although she hates her life and her job, she makes good money, which is the way she justifies it unfortunately.

But her boss really loves her, she's good at what she does, that's why she went to Seoul for a few months on that business trip. She and a few others were chosen to tour around new offices and stores their brand was opening.

"I bought groceries yesterday, pack a lunch." she says with a smile when you walk into the kitchen.

You shake your head, pursing your lips, "Eh, I don't know." you say and she clicks her tongue.