Chapter 1 - Sounds like a challenge

Evie Wilson stared at the ceiling in her college dorm room with two pillows pushed against her ears. She had been awake for the past two hours thanks to her roommate's constant sleep-talking.

"That sausage dog stole my candy," Melanie whined.

Evie rolled over and stared at the blurred lump that could only be her roommate. Grabbing her glasses off the bedside table, she put them on just in time to see Melanie stretch out her arms and wiggle her fingers.

"Help me, Mr Cow," she begged.

Blowing a strand of black hair from her face, Evie climbed out of bed and stretched. Melanie was constantly apologising for her sleep talking; she insisted that Evie wake her up if she became too loud.

Melanie kicked her blanket off the bed. "No more garbage bags," she declared, before rolling over.

Evie leaned over Melanie's bed. Her hand hovered over her roommate's shoulder for a few moments, before she let it fall to her side. She could practically hear her Mother's disapproving tone ringing in her ears; it was bad manners to wake someone up.

Melanie mumbled a strain of incoherent words before releasing a single, loud snore.

Evie laughed, the sound causing her roommate to bolt upright.

Melanie blinked a few times, her dishevelled hair mimicking that of a mad scientist. "What happened?"

"It's fine," Evie reassured. "Go back to sleep."

"Was I talking in my sleep again?" Melanie asked, rubbing her eyes. "Not again." She groaned. "Sorry, Evez."

Evie smiled and gave her a pat on the shoulder. "It's ok, don't worry about it."

Melanie raised an accusing finger. "How long have I kept you awake?"

"Well, um."

Melanie sighed and her expression softened."Evez, I've told you. You have my permission to wake me up. Hell, I permit you to beat me with a friggin' pillow if you want. Whatever it takes to shut me up."

Evie pulled on her favourite pair of jeans, before playfully waving her hand in a dismissing motion. "Yes, Melanie."

"It's still so early." Melanie huffed. "I'm going back to sleep," she declared, before face-planting into her pillow.

Evie grinned to herself as she gathered her painting equipment. "Make sure you catch that sausage dog," she joked, before shutting the door behind her.

..

Evie strolled down the hall and smiled to herself. The sun would rise soon, which would create a beautiful scene for her to paint.

"Good morning, Evie," greeted a familiar voice.

She turned towards the front desk and offered a small wave. "Good morning, Mr Mitchels."

Branton Mitchels, the campus security manager, smiled as she approached. As always, his black uniform was pristine and his hair was neatly styled. The dark chestnut colour of his hair accentuated the light golden browns and smoky greens in his hazel eyes.

He placed his steaming cup of coffee on the desk. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm very well, thank you," she replied, fiddling with her hair.

He nodded at her painting equipment. "Planning on painting under the old oak tree again?"

"Yes." She shifted her weight and her eyes briefly flicked to the door. Her cheeks started burning as she realised he had followed her gaze.

"I hear it's supposed to rain," he said, pointing at his radio.

Her lips curled into a small smile. "That's ok. I don't mind being out in the rain."

"You don't say." He laughed. "Well, if it gets too wet for you, I have a spare chair," he offered, gesturing behind his desk.

"Thank you, Mr Mitchels."

He nodded and she took his brief moment of silence as her cue to exit. Walking quickly, with her head down to avoid the possibility of further conversation, she left the building and headed towards her spot.

...

Branton watched her through the monitor as she set up her equipment.

His hands clenched into fists as laughter echoed inside his head. "She's not interested in you, loser."

Shut up. Branton shook his head, trying to rid himself of 'His' voice. He placed his elbows on the table and rested his head in his hands.

"Who can blame her? You're boring as fuck," 'He' taunted, pushing against Branton's mental barrier. "Step aside and let me take control of the body. Bitches love me."

Branton frowned. I said shut up!

"You can't fight me off forever. We both know your control is slipping!"

Branton grit his teeth. I'm in control.

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that, pretty boy."

Branton's eyes scanned the empty foyer. He wouldn't want anyone to witness his internal battle.

You're nothing more than an alter.

"Ouch, my feelings."

Branton ignored him and turned back to face the monitor. His mind was blissfully quiet for a few moments before the serenity was shattered.

"She's weird," 'He' announced. "It's kind of hot."

Stay away from her, Branton threatened.

"She's so fragile. I wonder how long it would take to break her?"

Branton growled as he pulled out his earphones and blasted his eardrums. He exhaled slowly, focusing on the pounding beat.

You'll never have her, Branton promised.

His bold claim earned him a sinister chuckle. "Sounds like a challenge."