[57] - Reverse Mountain Arc ~ 2

Start from the beginning

"So if I've got this straight, what you're saying is that these pirates were a bunch of cowards who cared more about saving their own asses than keeping a promise to a friend." Sanji sneers.

"Some 'family' they turned out to be." Ghin growls lowly.

"Why would anyone abandon such a loyal creature?" Usopp demands. "Just look at him! It's cruelty on a grand scale!"

"But if ya've known this drum[1] this whole time, why haven't ya told the poor dear?" Kylie questions. "He's obviously a very smart bloke."

"I did tell him." Crocus answers. "Down to the last miserable detail. That was the day Laboon began to first howl at Reverse Mountain. Soon after, he started slamming his body against the Red Line. It's as if he believes that wall is what keeps his friends away. And by breaking it, he can clear the path for their return.

"I admire his dedication." Sanji comments.

"Never gave up on 'em." Usopp breathes.

"He refuses to believe me." Crocus continues. "Because then he'll have to admit that it's over. And that terrifies him more than anything. There's no way for him to go back to the West Blue. So what we have is a paradox of tragic proportions. Laboon is a lost soul dying to be with his friends but won't stop killing himself to reach them."

🎇Poor thing.🎇 Hanabi sniffles.

"Tragedy. Still, for all the grief those pirates put him through, they did the same to you saddling you with their burden." Sanji eyes the elder lighthouse keeper. "I mean. . .You've done enough for Laboon. What about you?"

"The scars on his hide are deep, but those in his heart are even deeper. He needs someone to tend his wounds and I'm all he's got. For years, he's battered himself while I patched him up. A strange friendship, but it works."

KABOOM!

The sound of something exploding from behind grabs the attention of all present. Turning around, everyone looks to see Trigger holding a smoking bazooka. Another thing of note was that Luffy wasn't present.

"Trigger, what on earth are you doing?" (First Name) demands.

🐾I'm sorry! He was looking at the mast weirdly and I panicked!🐾 The otter replies quickly.

The blast from his bazooka sent the rubber boy flying at the whale's eye. That being the only vulnerable part of him on the outside, Laboon lets out an agonizing bellow. To keep himself from falling into the ocean, Luffy stretches so he's atop the whale's head. But even up there he wasn't safe from harm. Laboon tries to shake him off and when that doesn't work he rams his head into the mountainous continent with Luffy along for the ride.

Laboon's sudden motions cause the waters around them to swell with massive waves, nearly knocking everyone off their floating vessels.

"THE BOY! HE'S DEAD!" Crocus exclaims panickingly.

"Oh, don't worry! It'll take way more than that to kill Luffy!" Nami is quick to retort, unhappy about their present situation.

Laboon rears his head back and Luffy sits back up from the rocky rubble. A smirk decorating his face, as he wipes the side of his mouth with the back of his hand.

Laboon then goes in for another headbutt, ready to ram into Luffy again. The rubber boy dodges out of the way but is struck back against the Red Line with Laboon's tail. Luffy recovers quickly and stretches a fist to strike Laboon in the eyes again. The whale strikes back with his head, sending Luffy crashing against the lighthouse.