Chapter Fifty Six

"This is SHIELD

"This is SHIELD."

"This is SHIELD?"

"This is what SHIELD is supposed to be."

"This is not so bad."

By the time Clint and I make it to Steve's location they seemed to have somewhat cleared the area

By the time Clint and I make it to Steve's location they seemed to have somewhat cleared the area. A robot would pop up every now and again but for now Ultron seems to be reassessing his strategy. I take the break gratefully, hands on my knees as I try to catch my breath. With the city continuing to fly higher into the cloud cover the air is becoming thinner by the second. "Don't tell me you're getting tired", Natasha comments from behind me.

Peering over my shoulder I see her walking over by Steve's side, a smug grin on her lips as Steve ushers people inside the building. "Eh", I shrug straightening up "I wouldn't say no to a power nap." Standing beside me, the two of us gaze out over the white clouds Sokovia has been swallowed amongst. "You know as far as weeks go", I murmur thoughtfully to her "This has been a weird one."

I hear Natasha humming in the agreement above the cries of civilian's behind us. "We're a long way from where we were years ago", Natasha agrees just as quietly "But I'm glad your with me and not against me."

Feeling a smile tug at my lips I peer over to Natasha, noticing a similar look of love on her expression. Despite our complicated history, Natasha's always been constant. I've gone from being her assignment to being her friend; her family. I throw my arm over Natasha's shoulders, offering her a kind smile "I'm glad too."

"The next wave is going to hit any minute", Steve informs us, coming up on my other side "What have you got Stark?"

"Well... nothing great" Tony grimly informs Steve. Immediately my heart begins to race, wondering what Tony could've thought of that is so bad. "Maybe a way to blow up the city", Tony reluctantly mentions us sounding utterly defeated "That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear."

"I asked for a solution", Steve dismissively states to Tony "Not an escape plan."

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second", Tony stresses to Steve "We're going to have to make a choice."