Chapter 5

There's a picture of Tamarak on the side! For those of you who don't know, he starred in a movie with AnnaSophia Robb and another one with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Leven Rambin. Please vote and comment so I can dedicate my chapters to my loyal readers. I don't know if I know all of my loyal readers yet. I want to dedicate them to you guys! Sorry for updating it so slowly but I was busy. Sorry.

Chapter 5

          Troy stayed utterly still, hardly realizing that he was still sustaining Sapphire’s aura with his own. He stared at Dahlia in dismay.

          The charmer didn’t move. She laid perfectly still, her chest not moving anymore. She was dead.

          Tears pricked the corners of Troy’s eyes and he felt them run down his cheeks. To his surprise, Kayla wrapped her arm around his shoulders, almost as if she shared his sorrow.

          Then Troy thought he saw her chest move.

          Scrambling forward, he shot over to her side. Was it his imagination? No, she was definitely breathing. He could now see the steady rise and fall of her chest.

          “Is she breathing?” Cedric whispered in astonishment.

           Kayla silenced him with a look. All the magicians stared at Dahlia, watching her chest move slowly as she inhaled and exhaled.

           Then, slowly, she opened her blue eyes.

           Troy gasped in amazement. He had truly believed that she was dead and, now that he knew she was alive, he was happy beyond belief.

          He flung his arms around her at the exact same time as Sapphire fainted, her face as pale as Dahlia’s own one had been.

          Dahlia hugged Troy back, wrapping her arms around his comforting frame. The last few hours of her life had been agony, but now she felt almost as fresh as ever.

          Troy pulled Dahlia gently to her feet, still keeping his arms around her. He inhaled and caught her musky scent of her favourite flowers- dahlias- which were also her namesake.

          Dahlia rubbed her cheek against Troy’s rough Egyptian clothes. He felt a flicker of hope in the pit of his stomach and his heart leapt into his throat. They held each other in their arms, locked in their embrace. Troy held her close, almost happy for the first time since Helen’s death.

          They could have stayed there for a while longer, but Kayla interrupted.

          “Troy, come here,” she said.

          Troy felt extremely reluctant to do so. He extracted himself from Dahlia and they walked over to Kayla. Sapphire was lying on the ground, as white as snow. Troy felt a stab of guilt in the pit of his stomach.

          “She’s used too much magic,” Tamarak said anxiously.

           Ice was creeping up the side of Sapphire’s face. All of them except Dahlia turned to stare at Troy with hard looks in their eyes.

           “What?” Troy asked defensively.

          “You know what to do,” Cedric said, smirking.

          “What- no!” Troy exclaimed as realization dawned on him.

          “You did it for Dahlia,” Kayla reminded him.