Chapter Sixty-Two

Start from the beginning

She's looks stunning tonight. She's wearing a fitted black dress that clings to her body perfectly, and she tied her hair up into a ponytail when I asked her to.

I'm thrilled that my dad agreed to let me invite her tonight, but I suppose he didn't have a choice seeing as I threatened to not show up tonight if she wasn't here with me.

Whoops.

She turns to me with a caring look in her eyes, giving my arm a squeeze. She leans forward, pressing a kiss to my cheek, and I momentarily worry that her dark red lipstick may have left a mark on my skin.

She giggles at the face that I must've made, brushing her thumb across the stubble of my jaw.

I should have shaved this morning, but I was too busy trying to stop myself from vomiting.

I've been on the border of having a panic attack all day, and it didn't help that I couldn't take anything for it because I had to drive myself and Blossom too and from school.

She's done her best to keep me cool and collected, but she unfortunately can only do so much for me.

"It's liquid lipstick. It won't come off," she explains to me, and I recognize that I've drifted off for the millionth time today.

"So that means I can kiss you with no worries?" I question, trying to distract myself.

She nods, giggling some more, and I bend down to press my lips to hers.

I can't let this escalate too much because my dad is right there, but it's still something nice to bring me away from my worries for a moment.

When I pull away from her, her cheeks are tinted pink and she has a giddy smile on her face. I press another kiss to her forehead, making her smile grow wider.

And then the damned doorbell rings.

I check the time. 4:53.

"Bryce? Can you get the door?" my dad asks, and I groan, pressing my head against Blossom's bare shoulder.

She carefully strokes the top of my head, wrapping her other arm around me for a moment before I have to pull away.

"No one is supposed to be here until five. Who the fuck came this early?" I ask, pissed off as I stand up from the barstool I'm seated on.

I'm on my way out of the room when my dad answers me, saying, "It must be Caroline and Felix. They're usually early."

My head snaps around to look at him. "You're kidding. Is Holden coming? You know that I can't fucking stand that kid," I spit, and he continues to causally dice up some onion.

"Yes, of course he is. Now go get the door," he repeats, and I want to scream.

Storming away, I head towards the front door. I'm not gentle when I unlock the lock, and I honestly don't think I've been this annoyed in awhile as I tug open the door.

"Bryce! You've grown so much since I've seen you last! It's so nice to see you!" Caroline exclaims, pulling me into a tight hug.

"It's lovely to see you as well, Caroline," I say to her, switching my persona to the one my dad likes me to put on whenever we have guests.

She smiles at me, beginning to take off her coat which I then take from her to hang up.

"Bryce. Pleasure to see you again," Felix then greets me, and I shake his hand.

"Same to you," I say, before turning to fucking Holden.

"Hey," he says to me, stepping into the house.