twenty two

The sound of Cassie's phone ringing awoke her from her deep sleep, her sleep ridden body sitting up from under the covers as she leaned over to answer the call.

   "Hello?" She grumbled into the phone, laying back down onto the pillow. She was trying to be as considerate as possible, knowing that although she was sharing a large hotel room with the boys, waking them up was something she wanted to avoid.

   "Hi, darling," Cassie's Mother's voice falls from the other line, her voice a sigh as she speaks.

   "Mum," Cassie smiles to herself, pulling the covers up to her chest, "I miss you."

   "I miss you too, sweetheart. So much."

   "Are you alright?" Cassie's quick to ask, picking up on the tone of her Mother's voice.

   "Cassandra, I have to tell you something, something about your Father and I," Judith sighs, as if she had been putting off speaking about whatever it was, for so long.

   "Is everything okay?" Cassie asks slowly, Blake tossing around in the sheets behind her, "are you pregnant?"

   "No, I'm not pregnant," Judith sighs, "your Father and I have decided to split."

   "You're joking," Cassie speaks quickly, her tone harsher than need be.

   "I know this is going to be very, very hard for you, but it'll be better this way. Honey, your Father and I haven't been happy for a long time," Judith tried to reason with her as fast as she could, but Cassie could already feel the tears of shock brewing in her eyes.

   "So what? He's moved out?" Cassie asks as a whisper, a simply hum coming from the other line, "so he won't be there when I get back?"

   "He has asked for me to tell you that he needs space for a while, from you. He knows he's hurt you by leaving, and he wanted to give you some time to burn off some steam before he sees you again."

   "He doesn't even want to see me?" Cassie asks again, her tone soft with sadness but harsh with hurt at the same time.

   "Sweetheart-"

   "I'm really sorry, Mum, but why do you sound so okay? Why do you sound as if felt this was bound to happen?" Cassie asks sadly, Blake now beginning to sit up from behind her, brushing his palm against Cassie's shoulder gently. She shoved him back, Blake looking at her worriedly, with tired eyes.

   "It was bound to happen, Cass. I know you may not understand, this is an adult issue, but-"

   "Oh and suddenly I'm not an adult?" Cassie spat, raising her voice, "just because I'm upset that my Father left and you didn't even tell me things were rough, I'm suddenly not enough of an adult to understand?"

   "Baby?" Blake speaks softly, confusion in his voice as he hovers over her worriedly.

   "We can talk when you get back. I know you're not happy, but don't worry about me, I'm fine. I need you to be fine, too. I know you have a good set of friends around you," Cassie's Mother speaks in a monotone voice, only pissing Cassie off even more.

   "Judith, it's not just as simple as a divorce for me," Cassie stops to try to calm herself down, "this is about thinking I finally had a Father who was going to stay, and you not telling me if anything was wrong. It's everything all over again."

   "I don't know what to say."

   "Don't say anything," Cassie scoffs, "sorry would be nice but I know you don't do apologises."