20. Sculpting shit

''WE DO LOUD, WE DO FUN, WE DO AWESOME!''

The leaders were standing on the stage yelling, slamming their fists in the air and jumping like kangaroos. I wondered if Bones had ever done this, if this had ever been part of the program when he was a leader. I just couldn't imagine him up there like that. Last night I couldn't stop thinking about him and the thoughts had kept me awake for a few hours. 

Again. 

But it wasn't just the thought of him. The idea and the excitement that I could see him tonight, could go out with him... my heart fluttered in my chest. It seemed as if I just couldn't shake him out of my head.

I raised an eyebrow to Bree, but the spark in her eyes indicated she couldn't wait to get started sculpting. I lowered my gaze to the grey lump of clay in front of me.

''What are you going to make?'' Bree looked aside, the grin still on her face.

''I pretty much like it as it is,'' I said, taking the wobbly mountain look-a-like in my hands. I tried to smoothen a little bump with my thumb and when done and threw a plastic smile at her.

''You supposed to sculpture something,'' Bree said, shaking her head in disbelieve.

''Maybe I could make a little climber on top...'' I started laughing out loud, ''...no way I could do that, wait...'' I stood up and walked to the table with homemade lemonade, sweet pink and sour yellow, and grabbed a sack of sugar from the basket. Coming back to the table I ripped the sack open and spread the sugar on top like fresh snow. 'Mount St. Kit.'' I folded my arms before my chest. ''Definitely done.''

Bree felt of the bench, laughing her guts out. I joined a few seconds later. ''We are loud, we are fun, we are awesome!'' I yelled and Bree, who had just recovered from a laughter attack started hee-hawing again.

''Ladies?'' Nance was walking towards us. ''Could you please stop making fun of this activity?''

''Seriously?'' I asked followed by another laughter attack. Tears were running over Bree's cheeks now, her hands holding her stomach as if she had cramps.

''Yes, exactly like... seriously!'' Nance drew out the last word for dramatic purposes. She frowned her eyebrows when she saw other girls joining the laughter. ''This is supposed to be fun, good fun, not ridiculous madness.''

''I'm having so much fun,'' I said giggling, trying to smother another brewing laughter attack between pressed lips.

''Way too much if you ask me.'' Nance folded her arms before her chest.

Bree climbed back on the bench with repeatedly shrugging shoulders, desperately trying to stifle her laugh.

''I'm done,'' I said and got up. ''All I do is ruin it if I work on my piece of art any longer.'' The French accent was rather a mixture of Italian and German at the same time, but after all it was kind of funny the way Nance looked at me as if I was an alien at a country fair. 

Nance threw me a deadpan look.

My annoyance grew. How should we survive these weeks if fun meant doing stupid things like sculpting clay, not even allowed the have a laugh or joking around?

''I see you later,'' I said to Bree and shot her a vague smile, before I slipped beside Nance. I totally ignored her burning eyes, and walked out of the hall.

Outside I groaned something of a curse.

''You're okay?''

I turned around to find Julie standing right behind me. ''Nance can be irritating, believe me, I know.'' She winked at me.

I shot her a smile. ''I'm sorry for walking out like that,'' I closed my eyes and let out a deep sigh. ''It is just so freaking boring.''

Julie nodded. ''We do have some exciting stuff upcoming for the seniors, I can't spoil the fun, but believe me, it is way better than sculpting,'' she told me in her mock cheering voice.

''You mean what happens on Monday? The activity Bones made up?'' Shit. I saw her face fell. Damn, the words just slipped out my mouth.

Her eyes went wider and she frowned at me. ''How do you know about Monday?'' She must had seen the horrified expression on my face. 

''The talk of the town,'' I said with a fake smile. But I hadn't convinced her. She was still looking at me with a suspicious frown above her eyes.