15. Suit

''Suit has been a pain in the ass all summer long,'' Bones mumbled, shaking his worried head. ''Something with the permit. He is a newbie... Suit. You would expect for him to take it easy on the first few months.' He groaned. ''But has been like a Pitbull since the day he started, making Diesel's life miserable in every possible way he can.'' 

He looked aside, realizing this wasn't helping me to calm down and gave me that trademark smirk. ''Don't worry, hodgepodge, they won't use their fists.'' His jaw clenched and his dark eyebrows rose a little, like he was testing me. ''That's a government official. Diesel would go to jail if he pulled that off.''

I had absolutely no intention to be caught up in whatever fight he was talking about, I just wanted to leave this place. I took a glance at my watch. I'd been away for a couple of hours now. 

''They're probably looking for me.'' I wasn't sure if they were actually on the lookout for me. They'd said that they would make a headcount when everybody had returned to the campground, but I had absolutely no clue how long the game would last. I looked aside. Bones was studying my face.

''Can you please take me back?'' I said barely audible. It sounded more desperate than I'd intended it to be, but I'd rather be driving back in a car with Bones than with Diesel, who was getting more angrier by the second and whose head had turned purple while he was spitting his guts out to Suit. 

The other man did not even blink his eyes. The idea of being stuck in a pick-up with that out of control raging madness, twice my size and age, was a little too much tension for one day. I let out a deep sigh, doing my best to hid the nerves.

Bones' hand curled over mine, immediately the electricity was back again and shot through my veins, making me even more nervous. I felt a little bit of the pressure in my chest dissolve when he winked at me.

Bones started walking towards Diesel, marooning me to follow him. Suddenly, I realized that maybe this wasn't such a good idea, seeing Diesel's furious state of mind, yelling and making wide gestors with his hands now.

''Diesel.'' The tone of Bones' voice was soft but authoritarian at the same time. ''Mister Callary,'' he nodded in a friendly manner to the man behind Diesel.

Diesel turned around in anger, his pupils dilated in his bloodshot eyes, his breath short and fast. ''What?''

I looked at Suit. He blinked at me once as in a greeting, but it was not a friendly gesture, it was kind of arrogant, smirking. I lifted the corner of my mouth not knowing if I had to smile or to frown at him. Suit had a smug look on his face when staring back at me. He was the kind of person that would tell the teacher, the principal and both your parents when he thought he caught you cheating in class.

Bones nodded to the side, squeezing my hand and pulling me behind his body as if I needed his protection from both the men in front of us. ''Let me take her to the campground, Dies, you know that this might take a while.''

''And you know why you can't be the one taking her back!'' Diesel grunted in frustration. He turned back to Suit again, but Bones placed his hand on Diesel's shoulder to stop him.

''What?!'' Diesel's voice was filled with anger. Reflexively, I put my other hand around Bones' bicep, trying to pull him back, but failed hopelessly. I could feel his muscles move under the palm of my hand.

''I'll promise to stop before the turn, they won't see me.'' He stared at Diesel with a determined look on his face. ''I'll just drop her off and come straight back again.''

Diesel clenched his jaws, threw me a deadpan look and then bounced his fist in the air.

''No more damned breaks for you today.'' He pointed his finger against Bones' chest, cursing under his breath. ''And if this means trouble, you'll be chopping trees for the rest of your live. Do you hear me, boy?''

I wanted to protest, I didn't want Bones to take any risk, whatever risk that might be, nor give up his break for me to bring me back. The little tug on my arm indicated I had to keep my mouth shut. He eyed me warily to follow him and pulled me away from the angry men who started their verbal fight again.

''Do not say a word,'' Bones groaned between his teeth.