First encounter

It was a calm day, like every other day. Teaching the youngest boys in the village their role as a man, the woman doing the same showing them how to clean the meat we hunt, making baskets and clothing.

The youngest of the three let his catch go, he had had a good reason to though. I looked up to see a strange house on what looked to be an over sized canoe with big differences. The clouds moved with the house. The moving house came to a stop and so did the strange clouds. Several canoes with strange looking people in them made their way to shore.

My eyes didn't leave these pale faces. I was now on shore making sure the young ones were protected, encase they posed a threat. I looked them over, their strange cloth, bright eyes and hair that was growing out from their faces, almost like an animal. The tallest among all the unknown men came forward, looking for something. His grass coloured eyes found mine and he came closer. His mouth opened and strange words I did not understand came forth. They then came to a stop and he held out his hand to me. Unsure what to do I looked at it and then to the other curious members of the tribe. An elder motioned her head to copy him so I did. He smiled, at what I'm not sure, but his hand grabbed mine and more strange words came out. My wife came by my side and told me to offer him something. I offered him my catch from this morning. He gladly took them and spoke his weird language to his men. He passed the fish to the smaller man white hair and sky coloured eyes.

'Shall I tell my wife to teach them what to do, but as men they'd all ready know'

"Wife show them how to clean them" This time the bright eyes looked at me, but not like I did him.

She walked towards the river and waited for them.

"Follow her she'll teach you" I spoke to the bright eyes. They stood where they had been when they reached shore.

I caught on that they may not understand me like I did. So I made gestures with my hands to follow her, they then went to her and she cleaned the fish with them standing around her, watching carefully.

Two moons have passed since the white eyes have set up camp down the river. We've done our best to understand them. It wasn't easy but we understand a little. They've taken a liking to our animal furs, whose not to say we don't take a liking to their strange things.

The eldest among the men, the one that came to me in the beginning, his name is really strange all their names are, but his name is Charles. We have engaged in some trading, furs for these fire shooters and metal knives. They've asked if there are others like us. so in two days time I shall take their offers to the ones up North, with a few men from the village. Hopefully they take a liking like we have to the metal knives and tin cups.

The white eyes have decided to leave for awhile and come back by next summer. I have been invited to join them, but it is my time to think right now. The elders think I should go and come back and tell them how many white eyes posses their land.

I got many strange looks from the white eyes on their land. They offered me their clothing, but I refused; I am proud of my buckskin clothing. I was brought to a house, a very big one. I was to meet this lady called Queen. These people treat her as we would the Creator. Many were fascinated by my skin colours. Many asked questions about my homeland. Of course I told them what I could manage.

When the time to leave came happiness and longing hit me. I have missed my family and these peoples way of living is too complicated. I prefer my home land. Trading will continue if we want their things. I could not tell the people back home how many white eyes occupied their land. I did how ever tell them of this Queen they worship and this way of getting place to place.

--
This story was written in high school for an assignment. Sorry for any mistakes or such.
Ember