Journey on the red path

A few years ago this man came to the medicine man I was learning from. One of my roles as an apprentice was to listen whole heartedly to the person that came for healing or answers.
As this man spoke of his troubles and dreams he kept on having a thought came to mind. My teacher taught me there are no random thoughts if something pops into your mind while listening to someone it meant the spirits are helping you understand or telling you a message for the one in need of help.

"I know you aren't a love making doctor but I need to understand why this woman keeps coming back into my life. We go our separate ways but always end up bumping into each other when we are down and out, why does it keep happening?" He spoke to the medicine man beside me. The brown haired healer closed his eyes as he listened to the man speak, "okay turn the light off and I'll see what's going on there". Off the lights went and the healer spoke in our language and shook his handmade rattle. I understood bits and pieces he spoke, mainly asking for assistance to understand why these things were happening to the man on the chair. The shaking stopped and i had turned on the lights an headed back to my place letting Gray, the medicine man, get his thoughts in order. Sometimes the spirits spoke to fast or backwards and we had to put the pieces together.

"Some times the spirits bring people together in times of help. This woman you speak of is meant to be a permanent person in your life, If you want her to be. The two of you are what people call soulmates. Sometimes a soul mate is a best friend, a sister, Aunty or uncle. But in this case she's your companion to grow old with, only if you go forward with it", what Gray had told Kevin made him think for awhile. It was also what I had thought as Kevin spoke before Gray turned the lights off.
"But what of these dreams I have in which I'm underwater and wild animals like bears or lynxes try to attack me. I know her family is very traditional when it comes to our culture could it be them trying to hurt me because I took her away from them", Kevin had tried to make sense of his dreams by himself and sometimes that was difficult to do. Certain things mean different stuff it isn't always what it seems.
Gray Closed his eyes and then turned towards me, "what do you know gather" he asked me. My eyes squinted as I lit some sage and cedar to gather my thoughts an air. It wasn't a surprise that Gray had turned to me, this was my fifth year under his care, and I often helped with people searching for help.

I had my own bundle and it had to be used daily to honour my gifts. I turned off the lights and pulled out my pipe, putting the pieces together. Placing the tobacco into the bowl and holding up the flame towards it, lighting it up. As I lit my pipe up I prayed to the creator and spirits to help guide me in understanding this mans dream. As I blew out the smoke from my mouth I seen two male figures working together to stop this couple from being together. I finished up smoking my pipe and placed it back in it place.

"First off her family aren't trying to hurt you. They're happy that you're making her happy. Your dreams about the Lynx and the water are trying to tell you who is trying to hurt you. There are two men that want this woman you spoke of they want her to be alone so they are sending stuff your way that's why you keep losing touch and coming together again. However the Bear spirit is trying to help you but you haven't feasted them like you were supposed to before so their strength isn't really working as well as it should. Once you feast the bears the strength they are giving you will happen." I finished explain what was shown to me. Kevin nodded his head letting me know he understood. Gray had stayed quiet and I knew I hadn't forgot anything.

Kevin had gave his thanks to us, shaking our hands and taking his leave. There was no need to give him anything. He knew what feast he was meant to do and how do go forward with it. Gray had already given him the Medicine bag for protection he asked for. The only thing they could do was pray he was guided in the right way he needed to go.