Ch.14: Heart-Broken Attacker

As the day goes on Kyle stays watching Tri and Saffy from corners and corridors staying invisible to those around him. Every so often Tri takes a peek behind him almost sensing something leering at him from the shadows. For her part, Saffy ignores the daggers at her back as she continues her day with a smile on her face.

"Man, what a day," Tri says talking to himself in a hallway. "Maybe I should wake up Edmond, at least then I might feel less paranoid for some unknown reasons. I wonder how Saffy's doing with her admirer issues."

He smirks to himself. "I have to admit I feel sorry for the guy, Saffy's a catch so I can understand why someone would fall for her, but if the guy's not up to snuff, its best he stops trying."

It would be easier without you getting in our way! A voice rings out echoing through Tri's head.

Tri dodges an invisible force with something leaving a large impact in the ground on the spot where he once stood. "Alright, what was that?"

You should stay away from us, you're going to ruin everything!

Tri takes a defensive stance and reaches for the watch. "A Phantom? But he's talking coherently."

He relaxes taking a deep breath. "Hey whoever you are I have no idea what you're talking about, but I have nothing to do with you or ruining anything."

Yes, you are, you're keeping her away from me! If you weren't there, then she'd be mine and this pain would stop. The voice yells out as a figure comes into view. "And if I have to kill you, then I will if it means I can be with her in eternal bliss."

Kyle appears before Tri seemingly floating in the air with a twisted grin on his face as he glares at Tri. "I'll kill you!"

Tri ducks sensing something as an invisible force strikes the ground behind him leaving more impact marks as he lifts himself up. "A Phantom? What's going on here."

"Just die already!" He yells out.

Tri! Edmond yells out.

Edmond appears swinging his blade and striking at the invisible arms knocking them away as Kyle lands on the ground. Are you alright?

"I guess, but what's going on?"

He's possessed by a Phantom; their compatibility must be high or else he'd have his mind dominated. Edmond says seriously. The two must be in sync, but he's slowly losing control as his desires are starting to run wild.

"Great, he's turning into a monster," Tri says seriously. "How do we deal with that?"

Surprising you'd want to be active in the battle.

"This isn't a Hero thing, this is more self-defense than anything else. So, let's just get this thing over with."

If you say so.

Kyle smiles and laughs loudly with his screams echoing through the hallway. "It hurts! I need to end this pain, I need her to end this pain!"

What's he going on about?

"He wants to date Saffy and something about this dumb pain thing."

"Ever since that day it hurt, my head hurts, my limbs hurt, my insides hurt. Everything hurts and I can't do anything about it, the only thing that alleviates it are thoughts of her." He says with a soft smile on his face. "If I have her if we can become one and the same then I'm sure this pain will stop and the two of us will be happy together...."

Kyle's body fades away. If you'd keep getting in our way, then I'll have to stop you and the only way to do that is to either kill you or to go past you....

"Hey wait!" Tri yells out.

Kyle disappears as Tri stands with Edmond by his side. "He's going after Saffy."

Then we must make haste, he's losing his mind and the more he loses it the more and more dangerous he'll become.

Tri grips his fist and rushes ahead. "Don't worry Saffy, I'm coming!"

Elsewhere in the courtyard, Saffy stands in the middle of the yard staring down at a patch of flowers with a smile on her face. She takes a watering can and waters the plants happily letting her troubles and worries fade away from her mind.

Saffron... A voice cries out on the wind.

"Hello." She says standing up looking around. "Is anyone there?"

Saffron, I'm here for you. I'm sure that the two of us together can do it most certainly I know I can make you happy.

Saffy looks around and sees Kyle standing in front of her reaching out his arm. Please, Saffy please come with me, I'm sure with you by my side we can defiantly do great things.

"Kyle, your acting weird."

"Please Saffy, please come with me I'm sure that if you come with me, this pain will stop." He says as his form seems to distort.

Saffy backs away. "Come on Kyle, just turn back to normal. We can talk about this and then we'll be able to figure everything out."

Kyle grabs his head. "There's nothing to fix. There's only you and me being together if you don't then I'll have to make you!"

Kyle screams out in pain as a series of arms seem to materialize out of nothingness and rush towards Saffy. Scared and confused she raises her guard blocking her face as she prepares for the arms to strike into her.

"Saffy!" Tri yells out.

Saffy opens her eyes and sees Edmond smacking away the hands as Tri rushes to her side.

"Tri? What're...."

"Thank god you're okay." He says grabbing her. "I was so worried, thankfully I got here in time," Tri says happily.

Prepare yourselves, we have a battle on hand a foe ready for battle. Edmond says seriously.

"Yeah yeah, whatever," Tri says dismissively. "I'm only doing this to protect myself and keep Saffy safe."

"Keep her safe? I'm the one who'll keep her safe. I'll protect her from the world I'll destroy the world for her." Kyle says as his body distorts more and more. I'll keep her safe, I'll destroy everything and keep her safe a world for just me and her, that's all I want! That will make the pain end!

Kyle raises into the air as various hands emerge from the air surrounding him as a black tar-like substance covers his body. Roaring out in pain as the hands around him writhe around agony as he stomps on the ground as more black tar covering the area he stands.

"Alright let's get this over with," Tri says grabbing the watch. "Ready Edmond?"

Anytime. Edmond says fading away into the coin.

Edmond grabs the watch and places his hand on it. "Phantomize!" The device yells out.