Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Maybe next time." Giving her a smile, he looked back at me. "Have you finished?" I nodded, hoping that would mean we would be leaving, though I was mad that she had interrupted my date with the chocolate pie. "Sure?"

I nodded again, firmer this time. "Positive." To be honest the pie was so good I wanted to lick the plate, but having not only Anna's glare on me but also the rest of her little posse behind her, I didn't want to be here any longer than I had to be.

"That's great!" Little Miss Desperate shrieked. "You can stay here with me, Mason." Oh, for the love of God. If this girl got any more desperate someone was going to have to hold back my hair while I threw up. "We can pick up where we left off last night." She winked, running her hand along his shoulder and for the second time I found myself wanting to tear it off.

If I wasn't fighting my wolf and the sharp pain that shot through my heart at the very moment those words passed her lips, I would have laughed at the sight of Mason's head whipping round to me so fast I was sure it would come off.

My hand instinctively went to clutch at my chest to try and stop the burning that swelled inside of me, but I quickly realised just how many people were watching us and something like that could make people ask a question or two. That was definitely something I didn't want.

The pain hurt like hell, but what Anna had said wasn't surprising. This was the exact reason I didn't want anything more than to be friends with Mason. I wanted a proper mate and he wanted to bed anything that moved on two legs. "Well now that that's sorted, I'll be going." I said, hating the burning sensation and the growing lump in my throat with each word I spoke.

Standing I opened my bag and dug out my money then placed it on the table. "Here, thanks for the dessert."

"Wait, Rain." Mason stood, but I couldn't be bothered any more. I wasn't about to fight in the middle of a diner, especially with his little friends watching our every move, some smirking whilst others just looked down right confused as to why a nerd like me would be sharing a meal with the popular, hot guy in school. Not to mention their future Alpha.

"No, it's fine," I plastered a fake smile on my lips, "I've got things to do anyway." I didn't, but he didn't need to know that.

Anna sniggered, "Does the nerd have homework to finish?" Just a couple of claw marks on her face would have suited her bright pink eye shadow. "Wouldn't want you lose your title of being a suck up, would we?" Screw claw marks, I wanted to kill her. 

Reigning in my wolf, which was more difficult than it usually was thanks to all this stupid mating crap, I smiled, "Yeah, well I don't plan on being in school when I'm 24 so I like to get it done," I closed my bag and put it over my shoulder. Pushing past her, I didn't wait for either of them to say anything. "Bye Mason." I called over my shoulder before sending a sweet smile to the idiots that stood with their mouths open watching what had just happened.

As soon as I got outside, the cold night air hit me. As did the scenario that had just played out. My heart literally pounded so hard against my chest I could feel every beat. I stuffed my hands in my short pockets to try and stop them from shaking, but there was nothing I could do to stop my legs feeling like jello. I hated this feeling and I hated that I still acted like this when something to do with Mason happened.

There were a few benches that lined the street, but I didn't want to be in sight of the diner, so I picked up my pace and made my way to the furthest one. My mind was clouded and the lump in my throat hadn't moved, instead it just bobbed up and down every time my wolf put an image of Mason's face in front of my mind.

Taking deep breaths, I tried to calm my thumping heart. Looking over my shoulder I could just about make out in the distance the lights of the diner.