Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

We didn't speak whilst we ate, we just sat there enjoying our food and if I'm honest, I was enjoying his company too. It was strange to be this close to Mason for this long without us arguing or brining up the whole 'rejection' situation. Not that I minded. I could easily live without that.  

Being like this with him did have me thinking though. Maybe this could work, us being normal with each other. Yeah, I knew everything wasn't going to magically work itself out and we would end up lifelong best friends, but being like this - getting along - was better than nothing and it was definitely better that us going at each other every five minutes.

Finishing off the last of my drink, I let out sigh and rubbing my stomach. I had a food baby in there. "Thanks for the food, Mason."

Smiling he took the bag and put the empty rubbish in. "Dessert?"

"Let me guess, you know the best place."

Smirking he started the car. "Sure do, babe."

* * *

I was stuck between five options. Hell, who am I kidding I wanted them all. "Ready to order?" A small, stout woman with short red hair asked. Taking out her pen and pad, she looked at both of us with a smile, before settling her eyes on Mason. "Didn't expect you here until next week, sweetie." The way she looked at Mason, had my brows knit together. She obviously wasn't in his pack, but she seemed to know him so well.

He smiled warmly, "Yeah, had to bring this one though." He nodded his head in my direction. "She hasn't tasted the greatest desserts ever made in this country." He winked, but it wasn't the same wink he gave everyone else. It wasn't a smug, I'm-the-'It'-guy-in-school, it was a joking, friendly wink.

I could see, even from just a few brief words passed, that whoever this woman was he liked her and she him. Maybe she was a friend of the family? "Okay if I order for us?" He turned his attention to me. I didn't really know what to say, I had never had anyone order for me so instead of speaking, I simply nodding. "We'll have the double chocolate and blueberry pie with three scoops of vanilla ice cream."

The old country styled diner was small and packed full of people. It was obviously a very popular choice. With the food in front of us I had to fight back a moan. "Holy crap, this looks good." Mason didn't say anything, I think by now he had realised I had a pretty strange obsession with food. I couldn't help but be thankful that Bella wasn't here. She was even worse than I was.

My legs swung with happiness as I piled my fork with a piece of hot blueberry pie and a spoonful of ice cream. With the chocolate already melted in, it was pure deliciousness. Feeling eyes burn into me, I reluctantly looked up from my already half empty plate to see Mason staring at me with amusement dancing in his eyes. "How are you that tiny?" He laughed as he watched me practically inhale my ice cream.

Before I could answer, I was cut off by the squeal of a cat. Well it wasn't exactly a cat, but she definitely sounded like one. "Mason, there you are." Puckering her over glossy lips, she leaned ever so closer to him. "Why weren't you at school?"

Sending me a guilty look, he turned his attention to the bitch from hell, also known as Anna. "Had something else to do." He shrugged. Her eyes flashed to me for a second, narrowing, before turning back to Mason. I was obviously the 'something else' and she obviously wasn't happy knowing that.

"You should have told us you were coming here; you could have come with us." She batted her eyelashes and gave him a sickly sweet smile that had my wolf clawing just under the surface.

To say sitting here with Mason, whist the girl he was making out with in front of me that time in school was awkward, would be the understatement of the year. It was pretty clear that it wasn't acceptable for me to be here with Mason. The look of utter disgust from Anna was enough to tell me that.