Chapter 14

The next day dawned beautiful and sunny. Jessica got up and looked out her window. Maybe the nice day was an omen. Maybe things would turn out well. She hoped. But her insides told her otherwise. She was nauseated she was so nervous. She wanted to look good though. If she was going to put on a show, she wanted to look her best. She dressed in a deep red dress, put on makeup and curled her hair, then pinned it up, leaving a few curls hanging by her face, so she would look professional, yet a bit sexy also. She knew that this was a very big day, and she wanted to impress on the judge that she was not some little teenage girl, and to look good for Damien also. She was so nervous. She hadn't seen him for a while. After this was over, would he pursue her? Or would he take his money and run? She hoped he would pursue her. She really cared for him.
She sighed nervously, hurriedly ate, and then was soon climbing into the car beside her father.
He was nervous as well. He patted her hand as she sat down beside him.
"Things will go well for us Jessy," he said, trying to sound convincing.

"What is wrong, father?" she asked, sensing his worry.

"Oh, I never found those papers I was looking for. I just hope I misplaced them."

"Were they something important father?"

"Very. If Mr. Black's attorney got hold of them he would have a heyday. I would be ruined."

"What are they father?"

"Just a business adventure. But don't worry dear. As long as you stay cool, we will put Mr. Black away forever. I will be able to get back to my business, no more oil ships lost, and no more pirates. You just tell the jury everything that happened to you, and we will walk away from this smelling like roses," he grinned.

"Yes, papa," she said calmly, squeezing his hand, knowing that things would not smell like roses after this trial. It would smell like death.

Minutes later they were escorted into the courthouse, trying to avoid the media who threw questions at them as they entered.

"Who is going to win this?" someone shouted.

"Who is pirate Black?" someone else shouted.

But they were ignored as police officers pushed back the reporters to lead the two inside. They were shown into the courthouse, and into the room.

Mr. Archibald saw them and grinning, escorted them to their seats.

Jessica smiled at Doc and Paul as she passed them, they smiled back at her.

A door opened by the side of the witness stand and two officers escorted Damien into the room. He was not handcuffed and wore a dark blue suit. He looked weary, and she didn't blame him. His life was in her hands today.

He did not glance her way as he was seated by Grant. She guessed he did not do so, because he figured she was angry and was ready to take him down. Her heart caught in her throat. She felt sad and angry at the same time that all of this had to happen. If only her father had been honest in the first place, none of this would have ever happened. But then she would never have met Damien, and never had the adventure of a lifetime. She rubbed her leg as she sat there, feeling the scar. It twinged sometimes, reminding her it had not been all a dream.

Another door opened then, and the bailiff said, "All rise for the honorable Judge Matheson."

Everyone stood and waited until he sat. "You may be seated," he said.

Jessica sat and hoped this was the judge that would be fair to Damien and not favor her father.

The judge looked over the case and then looked up. "It seems we will be having two cases today. But we will begin with Mr. Black's. Mr. Prosecutor, you may begin your opening statement."