Chapter 6

It was the next afternoon that Jessica finally stirred. Something was pulling her to the surface. She fought it. She wanted to sleep. But light invaded under her eyelids, so sighing with frustration, she finally opened her eyes. She was in a bedroom. How long had she been asleep? Why was she there? Last thing she remembered was Paul dropping her.

She moved her right arm. An I.V. was in it. Where had that come from?
Where had the heart monitor and all the equipment around her come from?

She also noticed she was in one of her dresses. Who had changed her?

The door to the bedroom opened then and the doc walked in. He looked surprised but smiled at her. "Jessica, you are finally awake."

She looked at him, and he frowned. "Oh yes, I forgot. You have amnesia."

Amnesia? She did? Well, that was news to her. She could remember most everything. But what a perfect way to get out of her situation.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"Everyone calls me Doc. My real name is John, but I just go by Doc."

"Are you a real doctor?"

"Yes, I am."

"Why am I here?"

"You have been in a coma for two weeks. We had you at a hospital, but thought you would recover better at home."

"This is my home?"

"Well, um, you have been staying here for a while."

"Where is here?"

"An island."

"An island? Like Hawaii?"

"Kind of yes."

"Where is my family? Do I have a family?"

"A father. You don't see him much. You don't get along very well. But I think he is looking for you."

"He does not know I am here?"

"No."

"Why not? Isn't he worried?"

"He might be. I am not sure."

"So why am I here? Did I run away?"

"Not exactly. But I am talking too much. I should let you rest."

"Tell me why I am here," she demanded.

"Well, you must not tell anyone I told you."

"Okay, I promise."

"Your father owes a man some money."

"So I am here until he pays up."

"Yes."

"Was I brought here against my will?"

"I think so. I wasn't there."

"So, I was kidnapped, and am being held for ransom. What did my father do?"

"It is a long story."

"So, you will not tell me."

"No."

Jessica struggled to sit up, but he pushed her back down. "Stay there, you need to rest."

"Rest? I am sure I have had plenty of that."

She sat up and pulled out the I.V.

"Jessica lay down."

"Jessica who? How do I know that is my name? Maybe I have been brainwashed."