Chapter Ten

a/n hopefully everything begins to fall into place in this chapter. feel fre to leave me a comment if you have any advice concerning grammer and such, I do appreciate them. SPOILER! this story is just a few chapters away from completion!

P.S. video is a cover my younger siblings did. Check it out! 

Chapter Ten

“I know who you are,” I said, my voice breaking.

“You do.”

It was not a question, but both teachers had said it.

“I do,” I replied, the tears filled my eyes. “You’re my brothers.”

My brothers smiled and squashed me in the biggest hug I had ever had. Jeremiah joined the hug as well. I was starting to feel complete again. Everything seemed to fall into place, but there was still something missing. That something was Michael, Luke . . . and Lukan. I would never get to see Lukan again, that was something I would have to accept. The thought of Lukan made me start to break down in my brothers’ embrace. I hugged Matthew tighter, hiding my face in his chest as I released soft sobs.

“Faith,” Matthew said as Mark and Jeremiah pulled away. “Everything is alright, we’re here now.”

“It’s not that,” I whispered, trying to hold back the tears. “Lukan is never coming back. I get to see you, and Mark, and Jeremiah again. Mr. Clarkson said I would see Michael and Luke soon . . . but Lukan . . . I will never see him again. He was the only comfort I had when you were not around.”

“Excuse me,” I heard Duke say.

His voice sounded as distraught as mine did. He must have left the room because he did not say more. I continued to cry as Matthew sat down, sitting me next to him.

“Faith,” Mark said, making me look at him. “It’s okay to miss him, but you can’t hold on to the past that way. It could become baggage and a stumbling block in your life.”

“He was all I had,” I said, trying to breath. “I mean, yes, I know God is always with me, but . . . Lukan was the only friend I had after you lost the Assembly. We made, like, a pact that we would make it our goal to graduate together.”

“You have to let that go,” Matthew said. “You need to truly let it all go. You do not need to suffer that anymore. Believe me; it is not healthy to hold on to the past.”

I knew he was right; I was holding on to the past. It took me a moment to fully calm down. I looked around at the concerned faces of my brothers, and three masked guards. Lou and Milo were the only ones who could not meet my eye. Duke had reentered the room, looking at something in his hand. I could not see what it was; I wished to know what he was thinking. At that moment, as if he knew I was looking, he shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at me. I felt comforted, just by looking at him. Pleading with my eyes, I motioned to him, barely moving my hand. A soft smile played at the corner of his mouth as he slowly walked towards us.

“Are you alright?” Lou asked in a low voice.

Duke nodded, looking at him briefly then back at me. His hazel eyes suddenly looked familiar to me. Yet, how could they? I had never seen Duke before this.

“They are calling us for the music performances,” Lola called just before going up the stairs.

Matthew, Jeremiah, and Mark hurried to catch up with the other participants. ‘Joshua’ stayed behind with me and Duke, as Milo and Lou left.

“You are?” I asked, smiling.

“Jay,” he replied as we went up the stairs.

When we reached the outside, Joshua went and started talking to Milo and Lou. As instructed, I remained close to Duke.