Chapter Nine

A/N Banner on the side shows Faith, her brothers, Joshua (Skandar Keynes), and Duke (played by Alex Pettyfer) - I still have to add who plays them. - I also thought you might like to hear Switchfoot's Only Hope - which has been featured on the movie A Walk to Remember. :)
Forgive me if the chapter is a bit short, I had to cut most of it out because it almost had nothing to do with the plot.

Chapter Nine

The school board building was much bigger than I remembered. However, there had been some remodeling done, and it had a new paint job. Instead of the usual brick-red color, it was a lovely shade of peach with greenish-blue trimming. Almost all of the school had arrived the same moment Mr. Clarkson and I did.

As instructed, I stuck to Duke’s side as we made our way to our reserved seats. Duke spoke in a low voice, so that only I could hear, as he explained whom each of the school board members were.

“That is Mr. Thompson,” he said, motioning to the man that sat in the last seat on the stage. “He is headmaster at Group A. He makes an effort to be acquainted with all the students that participate in the Assembly, and he always tries to give another chance to anyone who fails an event.”

“So,” I said, as I sat in the chair Duke pointed to. “I should also make the effort to become acquainted with Mr. Thompson.”

“Yes,” Duke replied, “because if you do receive a bad mark, you are allowed to seek counsel from a member of the school board. Mr. Thompson is a man of his word.”

I nodded and pinned my name tag to my dress. It felt to be on the participants’ side of the auditorium. What was even stranger was to be the only participant from Group D. I looked at the rows in front of me. Group A was in the first row; Group B was behind them, and Group C was the row right in front of me. The only way I could recognize this was because they wore their group colors. The girl in green, from Group C, turned around and smiled at me.

“You must be Faith,” she said, reaching to shake my hand. “I’m Darcy Styles, and this is Marcus. In addition, yes, before you ask, I am related to the dude from the long ago popular boy-band. I am his great-great granddaughter.”

“You are the only participant from Group D?” Marcus asked, turning around at the sound of his name.

“Sadly,” I replied, nodding. “My partner, Joshua, was needed somewhere else.”

“Well,” Darcy said, “never fear. You can stick with us, and the other participants. We will not steer you wrong.”

I smiled back. I had no idea the participants were allowed to interact with each other during the Assembly.  

“Welcome!” said Mr. Sanders, the one teacher I still recognized, as he stood at the microphone. “Welcome all students and teachers of Kennedy Academy. Please rise for the anthem.”

Duke and I stood, placing our hands over our hearts. Since Kennedy Academy was founded by an American, but was on British territory, we sang a medley of both national anthems.

When we were finished singing, we sat down again.

“Now,” Mr. Clarkson said, stepping to the mike. “I would like to present to you the participants for this year’s Royal Assembly. From Group A, Miss Mary and Master Peter.”

The two participants in the front row stood, whom were wearing red, and went to the platform, accompanied by two masked guards.

“From Group B, Master James and Miss Lola.”

The two participants that wore blue also stood and went to the platform.

“Group C, Miss Darcy and Master Marcus.”