Chapter Three

Chapter 3

As I prepared for the evening formal, my heart was completely torn. Crystal was no longer at my side, asking me to braid her long hair.

"We're going to the mess hall," Cassie said as she and the other girls left the room.

I nodded as I slid on my stilettos. I took a look at my reflection, making sure I was dressed accordingly.

Dressing up used to be fun, it was supposed to be fun. But when you've done it every other night for thirteen years straight, it can get a little boring.

"I thought I'd wait for you," Joshua said as I came out into the hallway. "You look nice."

"Thanks," I said, adjusting my bracelet.

"Why are all the girls dressed exactly the same?" he asked as we started for the mess hall. "School uniform is one thing, bu-"

"This is a uniform too," I replied, motioning to my black and blue/grey dress and black stilettos. "Think of it as a job as a waitress, only the waitress is off duty and enjoying dinner where she works."

"Minus the enjoyment?"

"Minus the enjoyment."

We arrived at the mess hall and were greeted by Mr. Clarkson. He was definitely better company than Big B. I couldn't remember Mr. Clarkson ever interacting with us students before tonight. But I was glad that he was.

"The young ones aren't very lively," he remarked.

"Group D has not had a lively bunch since before I arrived here," I explained.

"And when did you arrive?" he asked in a low voice.

"Thirteen years ago," I replied, lowering my voice as well. "I was six years old."

"Then you are nineteen now?"

I nodded; I had completely gone out on a limb to have said these things. Even though they were irrelevant, I knew that Miss Bertrum would find out eventually.

"My son would be about your age now," the headmaster went on, "but if he were with me now, he'd prefer to stay indoors, in his woodshop. What about you, Joshua? What's your background?"

"I arrived yesterday," Joshua replied slowly. "I'll be twenty come spring."

"Take your seats, students!" Miss Bertrum boomed, clapping her hands loudly.

Joshua and I rushed to our table and sat down.

"Miss Faith," she went on, "you may lead us in the Lord's Prayer."

I bowed my head and closed my eyes.

"Our Father, which art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen."

As the meal is served, Miss Bertrum stood and called for everyone's attention.

"Everyone," she said in her usual stern voice. "As you know, tonight we draw out the names of those who will participate in the Assembly. This year, however, only two students shall be chosen. Mr. Clarkson, the headmaster, who is joining us tonight, shall tell you who those students will be. Mr. Clarkson?"

He stood and took a note card out of his pocket.

"Thank you, Miss Bertrum," he said without looking at her. "The two students participating in this year's Assembly are.....Miss Faith, of Smalltown, and Master Joshua of Winslor."

Cassie, who was sitting across from me, gasped. And for the first time, in a long time, all the young children cheered with joy and gladness.

"Yay, Faith!"

"Whoo!"

"You were chosen!"

There were smiles on every single one of their faces. The second Joshua and I stood up, we were tackled in what was the biggest group hug ever to take place at Group D. And for the first time, since Lukan became my friend, I smiled.

That night, as everyone slept, I lay awak.. I had the dream again and I couldn't fall back asleep. It had to be well after midnight; it was very dark outside, the moon and stars were barely giving light. I sat up and got out of bed. Maybe if I went for a small walk aroun the hall I would get tired again. The dark hallway was silent, except for an occasional creak of the bedroom doors, which were cracked open for the children to run to my room if they had nightmares.

"Can't sleep?"

Joshua was at the opposite end of the hallway, sitting in the window.

"You?" I asked, climbing up beside him.

"I usually can't sleep the first week in a new place," he whispered with a shrug. "What about you?"

"I relive Lukan being taken," I hugged my knees to my chest. "Every night its the same."

"You were pretty close, huh?" he asked.

"He made me this bracelet right before they took him," I replied, running my finger over it.

There was a short pause.

"The children look up to you," Joshua said, resting his hand on the window bars. "They trust you."

"I guess you could say I'm their big sister/guide," I whispered. "We have no one else, but each other."

"Yeah....Why did Crystal say she was going to be strong?"

Joshua seemed hesitant as he asked this. I guessed that he didn't know if I wanted to talk about it.

"Well," I began with a sigh. "I always tell the kids to be strong as Mr. Crowley takes them. I tell them to be strong so that none of the other children experience what I did with Lukan. If the child is strong, the others are able to withstand the moment long enough to stay calm until the brave warrior leaves."

"That certainly shows the unity between them," Joshua said, "I don't think Miss Bertrum likes that. She probably thinks a rebellion will rise up."

"That's no doubt...." I changed the subject. "So, you know about me. Where do you come from?"

"Winslor," he replied, leaning against the wall. "My mother was originally from Latin America and my father was from Canada. That's what I've been told whenever I run into people who knew them. I don't remember them. I've been on my own most of my life. The police were keeping an eye on me, I wasn't in school. The enrolled me." He sighed "Sometimes I wish that I lived in an earlier time. Like when Queen Elizabeth II was queen."

"I've also wished that," I said, exhaling and looking at the sky. "I've wondered what it must've been like. We should get to bed before the matron comes."

I got down from the window, Joshua did the same.

"Today we leave," he said as we stopped in front of my bedroom door. "Um...would you mind if we had a special prayer for the kids?"

I nodded and took his hands, bowing my head.

"Lord," I said, "we come before You at this night hour to ask that You be with the younger children in our absence. Bless them, keep them, protect them from harm. Let nothing fall upon them; cover them with Your wings. Let Your will be done in their lives, whatever that may be. We thank You for having the opportunity to have been able to interact with the children. Thank You for Your faithfulness. In You name we pray, amen."

Joshua sighed softly. He nodded and went down the hall to his room. I was both glad and disappointed that he had come the Group D. Joshua was good company. But all it meant was that he would have to suffer the same as the rest of us. I went to my room and sat on the bed. There was around five minutes left of the night before the matron would be coming around, getting everyone up and out of bed.

I wondered why God had allowed these things to take place. Why had my brothers and I been put in Group D? Why was Lukan taken and not me? Why was I still here, alive?

I didn't know or understand these things. But I had learned to put full trust in Jesus. Maybe that was my reward for putting my trust in Him.