Chapter Two

Chapter 2

"Why hasn't anyone put an end to it?" Joshua asked as we walked to Math.

"Everyone's terrified?" I suggested in a small voice. "I don't know. But even if we tried, we don't actually have proof. All we know is that if a tall, macho man comes, whoever he takes doesn't come back. I've watched many students come and go in my time here. They never see their twelveth birthday."

"That's sick. It must be tough to watch....erm, witness."

"It is....especially when everyone is as close as we've been. We're the only family each other has."

Joshua was distraut, his face scrunched up in pain.

"Faith!"

I turned and saw Mr. Crowley holding Crystal's hand. Please, not her.

"I'm going to be strong!" she shoute triumphantly. "I love you!"

"I love you, too!" I shouted back, using all my will power to stay in control.

I watched until Crystal and the man were gone. I turned and looked at Joshua through the tears.

"I'm sorry," I said before running back towards the big tree.

I sat on the dead ground and hid my face in my hands, breaking out into heavy sobs.

"I put her into Your hands, God!" I shouted, leaning back against the tree.

"Miss Faith!"

I gasped and looked up at Miss Bertrum.

"Come to my office, now!"

I stood without protest and quickly followed her. I knew what was coming, and it was something I had often heard over and over again.

"Must we continue to have this discussion?" Miss Bertrum asked, closing her office door. "I realize that you're fond of the other students, but life goes on as it should. You must stop being so grieveous."

"I'm sorry," I said, unable to meet her eye. "It's jus-"

"I know, you're close to everyone."

I took a deep breath and looked at my feet. Big B would never understand.

"Faith," she went on, "I must inform you that the headmaster of the school will be here a day early. Don't let him see you in such a state. It shows weakness on your account. Am I made clear?"

"Yes ma'am," I replied, nodding my head.

"You may go."

I turned and left the office, closing the door behind me. I passed the 'Mistake Wall', where all the pictures of the 'deceased' students were. Right next to Lukan's picture was one of Crystal. It was almost as of Miss Bertrum was rubbing it in my face, but I was going to try and not let it bother me.

"They're in a better place now," I said to myself.

"Are you alright?"

I turned, Joshua was coming down the hall.

"I'll be fine," I said, wiping under my eyes. "I'm so sorry that you had to witness that on your first day."

"How old was she?" he asked, looking at Crystal's picture.

"She just turned eleven," I replied, staring at Lukan's  picture.

"Good morning," came a man's voice.

Joshua and I turned to see the man walking up the hall. I recognized Mr. Clarkson and stood straighter, squaring my shoulders.

"Good morning sir," I said respectfully.