Chapter One

Cover art on the side by: @Manakete

Chapter 1

I was one of the six children my mother had sent to Kennedy Academy. There was me (I was youngest) and my five older brothers. Our mother had enrolled each of us when we were the age of six. I was the last to enroll. But the year I was eight, my brothers were all around twelve and thirteen. My brothers were all chosen to participate in the Royal Assembly. They lost.

I watched as, all around me, students started to disappear more frequently. Because of this, I was determined not to fall under the same fate. And I was going to do it with God's help.

I was sitting in French class, it was around the end of the school day. My best friend, Lukan, was sharing a desk with me. He was frantically trying to finish a woven bracelet he had started making for me, without the teacher noticing.

Lukan was my only friend my age. There weren't any older students after my brothers were gone. We were now the oldest students, at the age of eleven, in Group D. We were both determined to make it to graduation day.

Miss Bertrum, the headmistress of Group D, was a harsh woman. She disliked all of us (we never understood why), and she gave the worst punishments. Children went to bed in terror, never knowing if they would live through the next day. Or even to see morning.

"Done!" Lukan whispered triumphantly as he tied the bracelet around my wrist. "Now we match."

My name was perfectly woven in red yarn on the black band. Faith, the name my mother said that my father had given me before leaving to fight against the now united Koreas. He never returned home to her.

"Never take it off," Lukan said, holding out his pinky. "Pinky-promise?"

"Pinky-promise," I whispered, hooking my pinky with his.

"Master Lukan!" we jumped.

Miss Bertrum entered the room. She was followed by a tall man carrying a long stick.

"Yes ma'am," Lukan said, standing slowly.

"This is Mr. Crowley," said the headmistress, motioning to the man. "You are to go with him. Your things have already been taken from your room."

The man stepped forward and waited for Lukan. Was he being taken away, like the others?

"Did Lukan do something wrong?" I asked in a small voice, tears were starting to fill my brown eyes.

"That is none of your concern," was the reply. "But you may bid him farewell, for this is the last you shall see of him."

I stood fast and clutched to Lukan, breaking into low sobs. I couldn't let him leave me. We were a team with a pact. What wold I do without him?

"Remember our pact," Lukan whispered, his voice breaking only the slightest bit. "Live for see graduation day. God will get you there and out of this place, I know it. I know He will never abandon you. Never forget me, Faith. Remember me, graduate for the both of us. I love you, Faith."

"Come," the man said before I could reply, ripping Lukan's arms from around me.

"No!" I screamed as Miss Bertrum took a firm grip on my shoulders to keep me from following.

"Close the door," she ordered the teacher.

"Lukan!" I continued to shout as I resisted to stone-cold hands. "Lukan! Don't leave me!"