Twenty-One ✔

Beginne am Anfang

I run my fingers through my hair, processing the magnitude of the revelations. "I need time, Christian. This is a lot to take in," I admit, my voice softer now. "I need to figure out where I stand in all of this."

He nods, acknowledging the weight of my words. "I get it. I messed up, and I should've been honest from the start. I just... I care about you, Victoria, more than I've cared about anyone in a long time."

His vulnerability catches me off guard. I look into his eyes, searching for sincerity. "Christian, I need more than just words. I need actions, transparency."

He leans forward, his gaze unwavering. "I'll do whatever it takes to earn your trust, Victoria. Just tell me what you need."

The sincerity in his voice tugs at something within me, a flicker of the connection we've been building. "I need time," I repeat, but this time with a softer tone.

As he leaves the room, the weight of his past hangs in the air, leaving me alone with the tumultuous thoughts and emotions swirling within. The truth has reshaped everything, and I need to find my footing in this new reality.

...

I pick up my phone, hesitating for a moment before dialing my uncle's number. Dr. Smith, my guardian and mentor, answers after a couple of rings.

"Hello, Uncle. It's Victoria," I say, my voice slightly shaky.

"Victoria, how are you?" concern laces his words.

I take a deep breath, steadying myself. "Actually, Uncle, I'm not feeling well. I think I caught a bug or something. I won't be able to come into work for the next few days."

There's a brief pause on the other end of the line. "I'm sorry to hear that, dear. Take the time you need to rest and recover. Your health is a priority."

"Thank you, Uncle. I appreciate your understanding," I reply, relief washing over me.

"Do you need anything? Should I come over and check on you?" he offers.

I hesitate, considering the web of secrets I'm currently entangled in. "No, Uncle, it's okay. I just need some rest. I'll keep you updated on my condition, but please don't come over. I'll be fine."

"All right, Victoria. Just take care of yourself. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call," he assures me.

"I will, Uncle. Thank you," I say before hanging up.

As I end the call, a mix of emotions washes over me. The room is silent, the weight of my decisions settling around me like a heavy shroud. As I lie in bed, contemplating the events that have unfolded, there's a soft knock on the door.

"Come in," I call, my voice tired and subdued.

Rico steps into the room, his expression a mix of concern and understanding. "Victoria, how are you holding up?"

I manage a weak smile. "As well as can be expected, considering everything."

He takes a seat, choosing his words carefully. "I know it's a lot to take in, but you need to understand how much Christian cares about you. This isn't just some game for him; he's genuinely trying to protect you."

"I appreciate that, Rico," I reply, my gaze fixed on a point in the distance. "But I need space, time to figure things out on my own. I can't be a part of this world."

Rico leans forward, his eyes earnest. "Victoria, Christian may not show it the way others do, but he's hurting too. He blames himself for what happened to you, and he's desperate to make things right."

A bitter laugh escapes me. "Making things right in his world might mean descending further into chaos in mine. I can't be a part of that."

Rico sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I get it, Victoria. But leaving isn't as simple as it sounds. You've seen too much, and there are people out there who won't rest until they know you're no longer a threat."

A surge of frustration rises within me. "So, what? I'm just supposed to accept this? Stay in a world I never asked to be a part of?"

He looks at me with a solemn gaze. "I wish I could give you an easy way out, but there isn't one. The choices we make have consequences, and right now, your safety depends on staying close."

I take a moment to absorb his words, realizing the gravity of the situation. "I can't keep living like this, Rico. I need to find a way out, for my own sanity."

He nods, a touch of sympathy in his eyes. "I'll do what I can to help, but leaving won't be simple. We'll figure something out, Victoria. Just give it some time."

As Rico leaves, the room feels emptier than before. The walls seem to close in, and the weight of the choices ahead hangs heavily in the air. I close my eyes, seeking solace in the darkness, and ponder the uncertain path that lies ahead.

..