Blood Is Thicker Than Water

"Hello, Miss Adame, who do you have here?" The lady at the front desk asked, looking down at us with pity.

"Their names are..." Miss Adame started, looking down at us.

"Grayson Drake." I responded, shifting my gaze towards my friend.

"Benjamin Drake." Ben responded.

"Ah, well, we're happy to have you here! I hope the other children don't scare you both. They've been through a lot." The lady responded.

My heart raced. What did she possibly mean by that?

She took Ben and I's hand and walked into a new room, full of bunk-beds.

Yet no child was in sight.

and no noises could be heard.

  I thought to myself for a moment, thinking, "Why us? Why just some random kids?" Maybe it was a joke, maybe it wasn't real. Maybe it was a dream. I looked around, spotting a few spiderwebs decorating nearby corners and windows. It didn't look very pleasant. It looked like something out of a horror story I had watched. I shifted my sight to Ben, who looked less frightened than I was. The silence was the thing that made it scarier. Maybe if the lady who was walking us through this room that seemed like an endless void could've cracked a few jokes on the way to our destination, but she was silent.

  I heard glass shattering behind me, or at least I could've sworn I had heard it. I didn't know what I heard, that's what it sounded like. Miss Adame looked at me as if I was the craziest person in the world.

We entered the new room, however it wasn't like any other room. I could hear my heart beating fast as blood rushed to my head.

  There was a man, strapped to a chair with the weirdest sigil under him. I was..confused. Then, The woman started chanting this weird language. It seemed like Latin, but I wasn't sure. I then, watched as the man started violently shaking, screaming as something exited his body. Like, a weird black goo followed by red smoke. The smoke went in an upwards spiral before plummeting down and vanishing. I was so confused, yet so horrified. 

"That was an exorcism," Miss Adame told me. "You may call me Grace. Although, I am much older than you, I find you both quite fit to be hunters."

"A hunter?" I repeated in a questioning tone.

"Yes. A hunter is someone who kills all of the monsters! All over the world!"

"Monsters? There's no such thing." Ben remarks, his facial expression saying the opposite.

"You just saw me send a demon back to hell. There are monsters. For example: Demons, Vampires, Ghouls, Goblins, Trolls, Ghosts, Dragons, Werewolves, Sirens, Fairies, and..." Grace hesitated before continuing, "Angels.." She cringed as she said the name, like there was a backstory to her hatred towards the creatures. "There are plenty more, however."

I was stunned. How could these monsters exist in our world with only a few people knowing about them? How could I not have known? I froze in place, not wanting to move any further than intended.

"Here, We will train you both to become the most excellent hunters the world has ever seen. This may not look like much but, this is where you'll be staying and you'll be trained everyday all-day. Get a goodnight's rest. We start tomorrow."

She took Ben and I's hand and walked out with us, closing the door behind us as she led us back to the room with bunk beds. I got changed, putting on a large t-shirt that went down past my knees as I moved towards what seemed to be a bathroom, grabbing a newly packaged toothbrush, beginning to brush my teeth. When I finished, I hopped onto the bed above the one that Ben picked. I thought about what just happened. How my friends were gone- how my mother was gone. I felt like sobbing, but I had to be strong. After all, I was a Drake, and I had a new older brother. I felt my eyelids closing as I was a bit drowsy. I let them close, drifting off to sleep.                      

I ran down the empty hallway, one that seemed endless. It appeared as though I was in a hospital- or, a place that had similar hallways to one. I looked behind me, realizing I was being chased by someone..or something. It looked human, but it had these eyes. These cat-like eyes that I will never forget as it stared deep into my soul. I turned around, my heart racing, as I ran and ran and ran for what seemed like forever....until I ran into a dead end in the hallway. I turned back around, and the woman with the cat-like eyes was right behind me. I felt pressured, scared...alone. She reached towards me, about to kill me before I woke up.

Light flooded my eyes as I looked around at the room I was in once more, feeling my brother shake me awake. 

"We have to start training now." Ben explained.

And so we did, We trained. We trained all day, and all night, every day for the past 10 years.