Are you okay?

I knew we had to talk at some point and it'd be better to get it over with sooner rather than later. The longer I put it off, the more it would hurt when he told me that he didn't want to be with me. I was convinced that he would want to save himself the trouble and end it before we were too involved. I had to accept the inevitable and move forward with my life, because once our birth parents answered I would have so much more on my mind.

Noah Wayland

I'm so sorry about last night. Can you come over? I want to talk.

I swallowed my pride and pressed send. Three little dots immediately popped up on the screen. He was typing. My throat was in my stomach while I waited for his response.

Noah Wayland

Yeah sure, I'll be right over.

I told myself that all we needed to do was talk and it would make things better. At least that was what I tried to convince myself. I just had to tell him the truth and hopefully, he would understand. We'd been friends for so long, he couldn't throw it away after one crappy date. I tried to plan out in my head what I was going to say, but just thinking about it made me want to heave my stomach out into the toilet. I wanted to just be able to push my anxiety away, but it stuck with me like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

"Knock knock," Cameron muttered, opening my door peeking his head in. "Noah just said he's coming over to talk to you. Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'll be fine, just need to get this over with," I muttered and sat up. "You're up early." Cameron sat down on my bed, his head up in space as he stared up at the ceiling fan. Quiet and Cameron were an odd mix. He was either joking nonstop or yelling, the silence was mind-boggling. Scarier than any outburst. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just thinking." He muttered, "you know maybe you were right about not wanting to contact our birth parents."

"What? Who are you and what have you done with my brother?" I nudged his side, surprised at his sudden change of heart. Maybe his do now, think later attitude had finally gotten the best of him.

"Yeah I know, it's not like me." He laid back, running his hands over his face. "You better get ready though." I nodded, turning my head to see the time.

"Yeah, he'll be here any minute." I sighed. Part of me wanted to plan out every word I would say to him, but I knew that whatever I said would sound better if it came from the heart. Cameron got up and began to head towards the door. "But Cam, I think we have to meet them. You know I was dead against it before, but you convinced me otherwise. You were right. We need answers and they're the only ones who can give them to us. Whatever happens, we'll be better off knowing."

"Okay," he nodded. "Yeah guess I'm just scared."

"I am too. We'll get through it together okay? We're not going to let it come between us anymore." I put a smile on my face. "We'll get back to normal. All of us."

"Noah's going to understand." He squeezed my shoulder as we heard a knock on the door. "Get ready, I'll distract him."

"Thanks, Cammy," I couldn't help but feel a frown pull at my lips, the anxiety starting to seep back through my veins. He slipped out of my room and closed the door behind him.

I put my thoughts aside and focused on the task at hand. Coating each lash with mascara and a thin layer of gloss over my lips, hoping I'd cried all of my tears away the night before. I slipped a pair of jeans on and pulled a knit sweater over my head. When I looked in the mirror, I saw a girl who looked put together, unlike the mess of feelings I felt inside.