Approaching the Void

Six days earlier, Bhishani shrugged.

"If you insist."

She followed Essendra and Piktadarys around a bend in the path, away from the light of the camp fire. They were still far enough into the mountains that the air was cold. The evening was clear and stark and their footsteps echoed down into the Aneshvel ravine.

"Bold of you to talk to us by yourself," Piktadarys had a predator's smile.

Essendra had her mace in hand, yet not in a hostile way.

"How about we don't threaten to kill each other, even in jest? This alliance may be fragile but I hope for it to last at least until we reach town. I wanted to discuss our orichalcum equipment."

Piktadarys unconsciously cinched her cloak tighter around her neck.

"What is there to discuss?"

"I've asked Wuqiong to find out more about my mace. I believe any information he turns up would be of interest to the two of you as well. I'm willing to share anything he finds out, as long as you're willing to share with me what you know about yours."

"I do not have the advantage of this negotiation," Bhishani said. "You still have my weapons."

"I'll even go first," Essendra offered.

She held the mace up so they could examine it. The fake-looking jewels caught the light.

"This thing is apparently solid orichalcum. It's got enchantments for extra damage, weight reduction and the ability to use any Technique with it.  It's aura is suppressed. I found it in a sealed-off dungeon I... err... fell into by accident. I don't know how long it had been there. I was told — by a dragon, no less — that it wasn't a 'real' weapon. I sneaked it out anyway, as I had no other weapons."

She shrugged.

"Either the dragon lied to me or even it didn't know what it really was."

"I'm surprised you got out alive," Piktadarys said.

"I am more surprised the dragon did not come after you," Bhishani said.

It was all too easy to imagine the pandemonium had a dragon flown into Paloxhal. Essendra suppressed a shudder.

"That's as much as I know."

She slipped the mace into a loop at her belt. The twin swords slid easily out of their cloth wrapping.

"Why don't you tell us about these?"

Bhishani placed a clawed hand on the flat of one blade.

"Butterfly swords. Short and broad and intended to be used as a pair. These blades are so thin it is difficult to see them edge on. Only with orichalcum could they be so thin and still strong enough for a weapon. There are patterns cut right through the blades."

They looked at those patterns. They were straight lines and sharp corners, geometric yet hinting at a deeper meaning. Bhishani traced the pattern with one claw.

"Unlike normal magic weapons, which are useless to monsters, I can wield these. They substantially increase my speed, but only when I wield both at the same time.

"I recovered them from an old tower well outside any humanoid-occupied areas. The tower had been sealed once, and was partially sealed still. It took magic to find a way in. I did not know what I would find there. These were on a small stone altar."

Essendra jumped in.

"So was the mace, now you mention it."

Bhishani inclined her head, as if seeking mandate to continue her story. Essendra yielded gracefully.