Off Guard

Sellas stepped back when Butterfly thundered towards Smaragdina and Ursa.

"Easy, boy," Smaragdina said, struggling to keep her balance as the bear leaned into her, "I've got her. She's going to be fine."

Butterfly started growling.

"Err... help? I've never been good with animals. I think the smell of my potions upsets them."

A good lie for one concocted in a hurry.

"Maybe he wants to carry her," Kari said. "They seem to have a particularly strong bond."

She and Essendra took the unconscious girl from the alchemist's shoulders and draped her across the bear's back as respectfully as possible.

"It doesn't look very stable," Sellas said. "I've got some rope—"

"I don't think either of them will like that," Essendra said. "Butterfly is used to keeping his rider on his back."

Smaragdina looked around.

"So where's the scribe?"

"I'm a scholar, if you please. But I'm up here."

From the branches of a proud pine tree, Wuqiong waved.

"What are you doing up there?"

"I sought shelter in case the battle spilled back this way. I believed it to be safer above ground level."

Sellas frowned. "So, in a battle against monsters that can bend vegetation to their will, you climbed a tree for safety?"

"The wolves were likely to be swifter. I have never liked the idea of being bitten by a monster. Their mouths harbour disease. Then again, so do ours."

Smaragdina snorted.

"I'm pretty sure you can come down, now," Sellas said.

"Indeed. I am just wondering how. Perhaps if I—"

Wuqiong took a faltering step onto a lower branch, reached for another, then slipped. The others heard three distinct impacts as he dropped through the tree until he landed on his behind in front of them.

He sighed.

"Are you injured?" Essendra asked.

"The worst damage is to my pride."

It was dusk when they arrived at the waterfall camp. Team Charger had guarded the camp during the day while the other teams explored the area. Behind the palisade there were enough people moving about that Team Horse must have made it back before them.

"I guess I should give Dellarassa my report," Sellas said. "The rest of you make sure Ursa is comfortable and then get some rest."

Essendra tucked Ursa into her bedroll. She knew from experience that waking from a KO left one stiff and grumpy. Butterfly sat down next to her, his hands on his forepaws, and watched the girl. It was an inconvenient place for him to lie but he didn't look like he would move for anybody.

The dwarf from Team Charger wandered over with a plate of food.

"Is she ready to eat something?"

"Not yet, but thanks, err... Massey?"

"Massain," the dwarf corrected. He looked askance at Ursa. "I still can't quite accept that someone so young is out here in the wilds with us," he admitted.

"I don't think she'd want anything else," Essendra said. "She's been fighting up in the wilderness for more years than you'd believe."

"I guess no adventurer is exactly normal," he said, smiling.