Interlude

"I'll be honest," the Guild agent rested her chin on one hand. "It's not often that someone comes into town looking for a job in administration. In fact, it might even be unique."

The man at the counter adjusted his spectacles. He was used to a little suspicion whenever he rolled into town. He liked to keep his clothes clean and neat, to the extent that it was possible on the road. The clothing styles of the Central Safe Zone still sat awkwardly on him and that marked him as a foreigner.

"My real calling is as a researcher," he explained. "Specifically, I'm gathering as much information on monsters as I can from as many different sources as possible. Now the Safe Zones are starting to merge, adventurers are going to start encountering monsters more usually found in other regions. It's crucial that there's guidance available on how to deal with them."

"You've come from the Northern Safe Zone?"

The man's features strongly suggested so. He saw no reason to try to deny it.

"I've not been there for some time, but yes. I've brought copies of several seminal texts," he explained, opening up his bag to demonstrate. "I intend to translate them and leave copies here. It's a long task and I need living expenses."

He sighed.

"At first I sought a patron, but that didn't work out."

He hoped not to have to provide any details; he disliked having to lie. The main lobby of the Guild was deserted apart from the two of them.

The Guild agent thought for a while.

"All the adventurers based here are currently away on a big quest. It might be quiet right now but we're going to be inundated with work once they get back. Developing magigraphs, filing reports, cross-referencing both with those in the archives. It usually takes us three weeks to clear it all. I'm prepared to take you on until we've dealt with the rush."

He nodded and extended a hand, but she wasn't finished.

"If your work is good, and you concentrate on the job rather than your own projects, we'll see about keeping you on afterwards. Does that sound fair?"

"More than fair."

"In which case, welcome to Vellanixhal Adventurers' Guild, Wuqiong!"