Deeply Suss

It was later.

The four of them were in an alcove looking out over a steep, terrifying drop. Multiple tunnels led out from the alcove but nobody showed any interest in them. Essendra was sitting on the floor, elbows on her knees and her head in her hands. The deep red of new new armour had become mottled with dirt and cobwebs. Ursa leaned against one wall, staring out across the void and too tired even to scowl. The only sound was Drud making inroads into his canteen; no-one was even trying to stop him. Sellas paced back and forth. He couldn't get the nervous energy out of his system.

He stopped to look out from the ledge. Across the way, lit by the last sunlight of the day, was the one-time wizard's tower that lay at the centre of the Suss. It was even more garish close to. They had travelled down and inward when they wanted to go up and outward. Even if by some miracle they found a path directly to the surface they were at least two hours from the perimeter.

Their best guess was that they had fifteen minutes or so left until the barrier came back at full strength. When they had turned the last corner and seen the tower the leaden realisation that it was far, far too late had hit them all. Sellas hadn't been able to look his comrades in the eye. Most of them looked ill, Essendra in particular.

He couldn't give himself over to weary resignation. He was angry.

Is this the sort of 'commander' I am? It was easy to pretend that letting Racqeron call the shots was effective management. Giving him his head kept his temper in check and the others in line. Those Heroes' Hall quests were canned hunts, pitched well below the party's abilities on purpose and with disproportionate rewards so the rich kids who went on them were kept happy. Was there any real talent in any of us? This is the first time I've ever been properly in charge and look what I've done to us. I should have abandoned the third target site before we reached it, but I had to get overconfident and get us all trapped here.

I thought I'd be the centre of this party, a real leader to take this ramshackle lot and forge an effective group. How does it turn out? Essendra and Ursa both somehow dance rings around me, despite my higher Skill, and it still isn't enough to overcome my own deficiencies. Even Drud's been more use than me. Was I ever competent, or was I enough of a sucker to let those easy quests make me overconfident?

And to think I believed I could become part of the Vellanixhal town council. I can't even exert authority over rookie adventurers, one a girl and another a lush.

Drud flew over to him, carrying his flask with some difficulty.

"It's good yer stopped walkin' about. Was making me dizzy."

Sellas produced a half-hearted smile.

"Are you sure it's not the drink making you dizzy?"

"This? Nah. I am what you might call a 'career drinker'. This stuff's weak as— well, try some yourself and see."

Sellas shook his head. Drud was insistent, even if he couldn't keep his arms steady as he held it out.

"Go on. Just a taste. It might do you some good."

Sellas shook his head again.

Drud landed on an outcropping of rock and leaned in.

"Yer have the look of a man who's standin' at a signpost. And yer can only see the one sign, pointin' at the place I ended up. If that's where you really want to be, I ain't going to stop yer. Hells, it's the choice I made. But mebbe you should have a taste of what it's like before you commit."

He wafted the fumes from the homebrew towards Sellas's face.

"This what yer want?"

Sellas snorted.