"Yeah, we were, and I'll always have feelings for Sylvie. But she isn't a gollum. The miscarriage really messed things up for us. I was stupid and reckless, and I hurt her. I did a lot of thinking after that, and I knew I couldn't give her what she deserved."

"So, it was your idea, then?"

"Yes. But, honestly, I didn't think Claudette would accept. I was taking a shot in the dark and it ended-up working out."

Despite Colin's upturned lips, I couldn't help thinking he wasn't all-in with this promise, and based on what I knew about gollums, it could turn out to be another scenario like the one Amelia and Jonathan were battling. I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to get serious right now. That he was still young and had plenty of time, but it wasn't my place to council my brother-in-law on who he should or shouldn't commit his life to.

When Vincent returned, he basically walked into dead silence, and he caught on immediately. "What did I just interrupt?"

"An awkward conversation," I offered as I lifted my glass. "But that's over now and we have a toast to make."

I watched Vincent scrutinize Colin with his penetrating gaze, waiting for him to insist he be told about the conversation. But his post-coital glow couldn't be hampered, and he set the brandy glasses down, gesturing to the unopened bottle.

"Well? Are you doing the honors or should I?"

~ ~ ~

I returned to work Monday morning to a flurry of questions about Mr. Pearlman's passing. John at the security desk let one well-intentioned comment slip, and the media had the story lacquered all over the internet tabloids.

Reese Valentino's surrogate grandfather dies in penthouse apartment after spending last two months being pampered by Valentino family. Apparently, it's good to be queen.

"They twist everything to get more readers," Lindy said as we walked out of the break room with our morning beverages. She had coffee and I had a bottled smoothie.

"I know. If the truth isn't juicy enough, they opt for fiction." I told her as I downed my mango-peach supreme pretending it was a double shot of expresso. When we drew closer to our desks, I noticed a huge bouquet of flowers sitting on mine, and my pace slowed.

"What's the matter, Reese? You feeling alright?"

"I'm feeling fine, and I'd like to keep it that way. Can you see who those flowers are from? I'll wait here."

Lindy glanced at my desk and let out a gasp. "Oh, geez. I never thought a bouquet of flowers could look like a death threat. I'll go check it out."

I figured Dmitry wasn't stupid enough to send flowers again, and I'd already received a sympathy bouquet from my parents. But it never hurt to be extra cautious when you ran with the crowd I did. Lindy's expression brightened as she gave me the green light with a cheerful wave.

"They're from Sam and his wife," she said when I joined her. "I guess he didn't know the story about your rogue clip. We probably should leave the card attached. You want me to read you the inscription?"

"Sure."

"I was sorry to hear about your elderly friend's passing. I'm sure he left you with many fond memories. With our sympathies, Sam and Beth,"

Just then, the phone rang on my desk, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. It was Jill from the front announcing the arrival of our anthology expert, and my day was off to a roaring start. Lindy and I ordered lunch from the deli downstairs, and we hung out in the break room sharing memories from our college days. It felt normal and nice, and by five o'clock, I was ready to chill with my dear husband.