Chapter Twenty-Two

The car ride was silent. Niall was fumbling around in the backseat trying to find a pack of chips of something. Katherine was driving, didn’t really know where to, I just knew she was mad. In all honesty it was quite the terrifying look. Her lips were pursed out, her eyes narrowed into cat like slits. The tension radiating off her body could easily be felt by anyone who had the nerve to pass by. Then there was me, seated on the passenger side, trying to keep calm and collect the right words that wouldn’t release the anger built inside Niall and Katherine.

“Hey, Kitty, you alright?” I finally decided on. Katherine’s neck turned so that she faced me, reminding me of those dolls in scary films.

“Yeah, peachy. How could I not be? My boyfriend has a son that’s not a son, whose father shows up as the brother of my boyfriend’s best friend’s girlfriend, who I’m supposed to be friends with. On top of my parents most likely going to divorce mixed in with graduation and the fact that all of my friends are getting laid and high tonight, while I have to drive my boyfriend and his emotionally disturbed other best friend around until we’ve all calmed down!” Katherine ran a hand through the waves of her hair as she finished rambling.

“That’s a lot for one person to bottle up, especially someone as tiny as you Kat.” Niall spoke up, leaning forward on the console.

“Watch it Horan.” I mumbled giving him a smile. He threw his head back in laughter before nudging Katherine’s shoulder.

Katherine barked out a laugh before making a turn. “So where we going?” Niall asked continuing to be the conversation starter.

“A place that means a lot to me.” Katherine hummed back turning on the radio. 

I watched her lean back into the driver’s seat. I felt neglected. I lost my parents before I knew how to fix a relationship, how to make it better. Things were bad between us, hell, compared to her parents we were Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, but things could be better.

“You know a place that means a lot to me?” I asked her, softly leaning over to whisper it in her ear. She didn’t say anything, probably over analyzing the question. “Where ever you are, because I know the best part of me is there.”

“If this were the boyfriend Olympics you just won gold!” Niall laughed from the back seat, slapping his knee in delight.

“Niall, don’t laugh, that was quite possibly the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me.” Katherine smiled, the worry starting to fade out.

Keeping on hand on the wheel, she slithered one hand over to my knee, pawing at it.  Lacing her fingers with mine, I brought them to my lips. Working my way up her skin, I continued to press my lips down on her delicate skin a familiar scent catching my nose.

“You’re wearing my cologne?”

Katherine giggled, “Nope, guess again!”

I sniffed at her skin, earning another giggle from her. “You didn’t wear any of my clothes today.”