Chapter 2

Mitch hated the knot in his stomach. The closer and closer they got to Dallas, TX, the worse it got. They had made it all the way to their hometown show. And this wasn't even the halfway point. Their weekend of rest did give them the boost to get to here, but now Mitch was worried about feeling like shit for not wanting to stop and see his parents even if they had a day off. Most of his friends decided to take the day to see their friends, and he totally respected that. Was happy for them even. Ellie decided to tag along with Hayes to his house because her family was out of town this weekend so Mitch was kinda fucked for the day.

Until he was saved by Kevin before they all got a chance to leave. He had come to chat as the day ended at warped, all asking about their hometown and seeing what everyone's plans were now that they were home. He seemed happy everyone was choosing to spend time with their families, but immediately pulled Mitch aside when he said he didn't know what he was doing.

Kevin invited him along to spend time with the band if he couldn't go home. Mitch immediately agreed.

Like a gentleman, Kevin even walked him out to the car to grab a change of clothes before Baz could drive off with the rest of his stuff. He hugged his friends goodbye and followed Kevin to what felt like a sacred place. The busses.

As soon as he stepped on, he was thankful for the air conditioning.

"Hey, Kev. Where have you been?" Mitch heard Scott, but Kevin had yet to move out of his way.

"Hope you guys don't mind but I invited Mitch along for the ride." Kevin paused for half a second. "And to eat with us tomorrow."

"What?" Scott sounded surprised. Mitch scrunched his nose. "This is his hometown, isn't it?"

Kevin plopped down in the nearest seat and Mitch could suddenly see Scott. He was laying back in the bench seat, shirtless, and now looking right back at him. Mitch answered. "Yeah, but I wasn't planning on going home or anything..." He trailed off as Scott's frown grew.

He thought he would ask about it, but he didn't. "Okay. You're more than welcome to hang with us tomorrow. My parents love to host, so it shouldn't be a problem."

His what? Mitch blinked a couple of times then looked at Keven and back to Scott. Then looked up as Kirstin peeked through the curtain. "I knew I heard your voice." She smiled as she walked the rest of the way to him and Mitch was surprised but not unhappy to hug her. "You're joining us tomorrow?"

He nodded.

"Sweet. I'm glad. Get comfortable. Scott, scoot your ass over. Take a seat." She gestured to the spot Scott's legs had been in as he moved.

Mitch turned and sat, tucking his little bag next to him.

As Kirstin started up conversation with him, similar to the way Scott had through text, Mitch found himself feeling comfortable. She was easy to talk to. And when Avi entered the small space everyone chat for a long time. Mitch could feel his heart soaring as he learned about these people. Really learned about them. Not just their music or what they put on the internet, but laughed at their stupid vulgar jokes. And joined in on teasing Scott when his ego would say something stupid. And he couldn't help but smile every time Kevin's laugh filled the room.

But as time progressed later into the night, he felt his eyes starting to droop a bit. And the cool air of the bus was putting him in a snuggly mood as he scooted down in his seat a little, leaning his head against the back.

He wasn't really asleep, cause he could still hear talking. But he might as well have been when he was gently shaken awake.

"Hey." He blinked his eyes open to see that Scott was kneeling next to him. "Esther went to the Desert Son's bus to stay with Darien. She said you could have her bed for tonight. Let me show you which one it is."